SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

which software for entry in spectroscopy ?

hello british islands, its the dark, cloudy, nasty german weather here and i just try to figure which program (freeware) to install to start messing around with those visible light spectra ? even if i dont have a star analyzer yet theres tons of data of spectra on the internet to work with, compare and learn about absorption lines etc.

i tried "vspec" but it wont install, seems to be a common problem on win7.

anybody have experience with IRIS ? or a webbased solution ? i´m only looking for an entry solution, i can prepare my spectrum in gimp(photoshop). so whats your experience, are there options to vspec or can u give me a hint how to get vspec ot run ? it wont execute even when i try to install as administrator under "winXP" mode.

cheers

MB

Hi Bluemarkus! - I initially had the same problem, perservered, and am very glad I did as it is a very good program, and does run under Win7.

There is another program available (RSPEC) which is a commercial program, but you get a free demo. It is easier to set up and use initially, but you have to pay for it.

Merlin66 can give you the info you need about VSPEC installation - he is the Moderator for spectroscopy and knows everything!

Good luck,

Chris

I'm certainly not sure I know everything!!

Vspec does work very well under Win7. It MUST be installed and run as Administrator.

Let me know if pain persists......

RSpec is a very good introduction but not free.

ISIS is Christian Buil's spectra capture and pre-processing freeware; it's constantly being upgraded. Great for recording the spectra i.e. different cameras/ telescopes/ flats/ darks etc but doesn't do what Vspec does in terms of analysis.

Audela/ AudeAce is also a very good capture option and has strong scripting abilities.

The semi-professional MIDAS and IRAF are VERY difficult to master, but are highly capable (Linux based but can be made to run under Windoze)

Hope this helps.

guys you have answered promptly i am impressed. but you´d be even more impressed ot see my desktop screen. in the meantime i installed IRIS, ISIS, AudeLA, SPLAT-VO and

DADADADAAAAAAAA...... *sound of victory*

visual spec is running ! had to use administrator rights during installation, now it works ! as always i jumped the gun instead of reading the fineprint on the vspec website. i´m from the instant gratificaton generation i guess...well i guess the starlight will teach me patience since it takes millions of LY to reach us hehe. i completed already a little tutorial with ISIS. its good to know some basic ISIS functions. i think i will for now stick toVspec and then after some months uninstall all unused software again.

so now its your turn, post me some spectras that i can work with. i am interested in the star "chara", or Beta Canis Venatici. its my favourite star cuz just on top of it lies a galaxy thats really easy to find. i just read in wikipedia that its a main sequence star about like our sun (yellow), and has a great Sodium line which makes it an awesome pick for spectroscopy, in fact this stars been used to calibrate other star-spectrums. sounds like a great first try in visual spec.

cheers MB

well i downloaded this atlas from richard walker. its legit. also just going through the vspec flash tutorials. first everything looked complicated but I think it wont take much time until i can make my own first spectra. be it of own data or "stolen" data from the internet.

can u island-inhabiting people tell me a weblink where i have access to spectral databases online ? interested in both, processed material(graphs) as well as raw material. (unprocessed or only half processed)..

checked out the BESS database but not too impressed, the spectra presented there dont show the whole visual range and the user interface is also weird. i think there must be like a few dozen others out there with public access ? i need material to learn to use Vspec..

cheers

MB

here i did my first successful calibration in Vspec. on young blue stars the H-lines alpha and beta are the best and easiest way...

sirius calibrated In vspec

thanks for he links i will check them out and see which ones are good...

Archived