Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Houston

SimpleMajority

I have been intrigued by space for a very long time, and didn't know where to get started until a met a good friend of mine. He got me hooked on his dobsonian telescope and has giving me good advice which has landed me a Meade ETX 90 telescope (providing it checks out with a professional). I am eager with excitement and can't wait to take my scope out to some star parties. I am also planning to joining the Houston Astrological Society as well.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and a very warm welcome to SGL. I've only been a member for 2-3 months and have found it absolutely full of great people who are more than happy to help, advise and chat. No question is a bad or silly question, all your questions will be answered by at least one person on here. So dive right in, ask questions, learn and enjoy :D

Yes , hi and welcome from Darwin australia , Just a little word of advice , as you are a total beginner I think that unless you have some one to help you an ETX 90 ( great scopes ) might be a little complicated for a beginner like you . And they are so I would suggest a 6-8 inch Dob like your friend has as you will see far more objects easily as the more light grasp the more you will see , 150mm -200mm compared with 90mm is a huge differance .

Anyway what ever you decide it will be better than what you have now .

Thats my 2c and most of all enjoy .

Brian.

Hello Simplemajority and welcome to the SGL. I agree with Brian about aperture size and the learning curve of a simpler reflector such as a Dob or one with an EQ mount.

Wishing you many clear, dark skies and enjoy the forums. :laugh:

Hello Simplemajority and welcome to the SGL. I agree with Brian about aperture size and the learning curve of a simpler reflector such as a Dob or one with an EQ mount.

Wishing you many clear, dark skies and enjoy the forums. :laugh:

I am a highly technical person and I am already reading through the manual on the ETX. My friend also has one and knows all the ends and outs of it. I would really like a dob sometime soon, but I have a limited amount of cargo space in my car (97 Honda Civic coupe) and it would be an incredibly tight fit with a 46" telescope and a large stand.

I live on the fringe of the city and within 30 minutes I can be at a dark site :)

Hi and welcome to SGL! I visit Houston on business fairly regularly - great city - though I haven't had chance to visit any of the Astro clubs yet. Maybe next time I'm out I'll head along, so do let us know if you find a good group out there. All the best with the new hobby!

Archived