SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First purchase

c87

Hey guys, hopefully this will be an easy one for you. I'm looking at buying a new eyepiece to use with my 127 mak. Looking around, I think I have made a decision but would like some opinions and advice on whether it would be suitable. Currently I am using the supplied eyepieces, the 10mm and 25mm. I am going to be using it mainly for planetary viewing.

I was looking at the Baader Hyperion 68 degree eyepiece 8mm. I was thinking of the 8mm as the 5mm goes above my magnification limit, but I would like a bit more magnification than the 10mm would give. I think I have worked it out right and the 8mm would give me 187x magnification with a focal length of 1500. The Baader Hyperions also allow a dslr to be attached which although I intend on using it mainly for visual is a plus.

If anyone doesn't think this would be suitable and has other suggestions I would love to hear them.

8mm sounds like a sensible choice.

Which eyepiece you get is really personel choice.

You have a reason for the Hyperon (potential camera attachment) so if the cost is OK (£98) then no reason not to get one. As said it allows the potential of a camera for imaging and one of the best methods of really spending money. :grin: :grin:

If adding a camera were not a factor then the BST's (£47) are good and the X-Cel's are good (£69).

The 127 should allow most reasonable eyepieces to work without problems.

The 8mm Hyperion is an excellent eyepiece (I used to own one), but with your scope the fine tuning rings (which work very well) are less useful as they give 6mm (250x), 5mm (300x) and 4.3mm (349x).

The 10mm Hyperion with FTRs would give 10mm (150x), 8.4mm (179x) 7.1mm (211x) & 6.1mm (246x) - a more useful range of magnifications. Don't worry about it being the same as the 10mm you already have because once you looked through the 10mm or the 8mm hyperion, the 10mm eyepiece that you have would never be put in the scope again :grin:

Thanks guys, I think the possibilty of adding a camera is a big selling point for me. Although I'm going to be using it for visual mainly, it would be nice to have the option to add the camera. After reading your comments, I'm confident the 8mm Hyperion will do the job. Thanks. As I'm new to all this though, just wanted to double check the camera accessories with you too. If I add the Baader Hyperion eyepiece T-Adaptor (M43-T), and the T-ring for my camera then I can hook my camera up to it. No other accessories needed?

The 8mm Hyperion is an excellent eyepiece (I used to own one), but with your scope the fine tuning rings (which work very well) are less useful as they give 6mm (250x), 5mm (300x) and 4.3mm (349x).

The 10mm Hyperion with FTRs would give 10mm (150x), 8.4mm (179x) 7.1mm (211x) & 6.1mm (246x) - a more useful range of magnifications. Don't worry about it being the same as the 10mm you already have because once you looked through the 10mm or the 8mm hyperion, the 10mm eyepiece that you have would never be put in the scope again :grin:

i would deffo agree with adrian go for the longer focal length and buy fine tunning rings which are only about a tenner each

Sorry Adrian, my last reply makes it look like I was ignoring your suggestion, but in truth being new to all this I didn't really understand what you were saying but believed I did :embarrassed:

I just re-read your post after Faulksy agreed with you and I believe I understand what you were saying now. The 10mm plus the 2 available fine tuning rings will essentially allow me 4 different magnifications in one eyepiece which would be more useable than the 8mm + fine tuning rings.

I have just read the description of the fine tuning rings on the flo website, but am unsure of how they work exactly. I take it they can be adjusted easily to change magnification? Are they difficult to install onto the eyepiece? The mention of a clean room on the website puts me off a bit, as it sounds like some DIY is in order and I am useless when it comes to messing :grin:

very easy to fit mate. you just unscrew the first group of lenses and screw the tunning ring in place then screw the lenses back on, same as screwing a filter on, dont worry about clean room you can do it anywere almost, i wouldnt reccomend doing it on a building site though lol

As faulksy says it really is a simple operation, that I used to do in the dark (sitting down) in order to fine tune the magnification to the seeing conditions. It is sometimes a little difficult as once you have unscrewed the bottom section you have the 2 parts of the eyepiece and the fine tuning rings to juggle :shocked:.

I found that if I had the eyepiece tightly in the focuser then I could unscrew the top portion, leaving the nosepiece in the focuser - then I could just attach the FTR and screw it back on (2 bits, 2 hands = much easier :laugh:)

They really are an easy way of getting several focal lengths for minimal outlay (& 68 degree AFOV). It's also fairly impressive when you have a hyperion with both FTRs fitted sticking out of your focuser. It's like holding a ceremonial mace :grin:

Ok, thanks guys. I think I will do that then, get the 10mm Hyperion, and both fine tuning rings. What about the camera attatchment then? Is it just the Baader Hyperion eyepiece T-Adaptor (M43-T), and the T-ring for my camera I need?

I've ordered the 10mm plus both fine tuning rings today, and they have been dispatched and should be with me tomorrow :smiley:

The T-adaptor was out of stock so I haven't ordered the t-ring either, will just order them both at a later date, and just use it for visual for now.

Archived