Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hi there iav just got my foundation licence 6 months ago

my call M6KWI and iav been trying to make contact with the iss.... set your scanner frq 145.800 and get the page up of the net iss tracker to see were it is i can hear them 100 mile of the uk it has a big foot print has it goes over ... i use a 2meter yaesu fm transceiver ft-1802 call out on 145.200 working splits with listen 145.800 .... try building a 2 meter anttenna or just buy one for around 30 pounds... my scanner with just the standerd antenna is not up for the job.. your receiver needs the best anttenna so get your self a vhf antenna so if you go for your exam it will come in for your new 2 meter radio lol.... this is how i deal with the iss all the best the call for the iss is PI9ISS the last few times its been over hope this will help :smiley:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i'm correct with SSTV thing is that where it slowly picks up coding and it creates image on screen

thats kind thing with them satelites how they pick up images of stuff if i'm correct.

yup also used to get apollo images and moon landing shots. the data comes from left to right onscreen

and creates an image. can be upto a couple mins to get picture to a few seconds depending on coding and

the frequency etc etc

bit like a 56k modem, you would sit and whait while data loaded onto screen, images would take ages,

feeding line by line

These some of cool software's downloads and i quite like them and that mmsstv

Goldwave to record voice samples i like spectrographs on that recorder, the morse decoder and it said my second name lol Tate like somet trying to communicate with me hehe i wish lol them aliens ;) look at morse coder and look where says Tate that is awesome from listening to some plane frequency.

the meteor dectector fm scatter thing. and the orbcom thing not showing at moment use that for fancey signal line.

i like them :)

now aliens show your ufo on me skycam be nice.

radiook1.jpg

Jim very interesting i shall have look into that thanks for info.

Looking on map from where i live in middlesbrough and facing to

east they is radio station about 50 miles away ;)

well station i cant listen to just checked map and it's to east

around 93.6 to 103.1 http://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/

Hi Cliff

Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy.

When I said 50 miles I just said it as the absolute minimum. They key to picking up meteor scatter is that the FM transmitter is over the horizon from you as FM radio waves are 'line of sight'; they don't go through hills and they certainly don't go through the earth but the can bounce of the ion trails of meteors and certain things high up in the atmosphere. So you can go further east - I reckon looking for radio stations in Denmark, Netherlands or Belgium might be a good bet.

You'll get better results the lower the frequency you tune in to as when you detect the scattered radio waves they will last longer the lower the frequency is although it will still work at the higher frequencies.

I used to do this when I was back in the UK and it's good fun and can be done with the cheapest of equipment. Obviously you'll get the best results when we are due a metoer shower!!

If you get into it you can start looking at making directional antennae to pick up far away signals scattering off meteors, I've seen a website where someone was caclulating the speed of the meteors by pointing a directional yagi antenna (like a tv aerial) to eastern europe signals all done with pretty cheap stuff. I'll try and find it again (it was a few years ago I was looking at it), will have to be kater though as off out to watch the footie.

edit: I see you have skypipe, I used that too. Something I found though when living in a small flat that it was difficult to isolate my radio stuff from light switches and the like - you'll have lots of stuff in your place that when they get switched on cause a lot of interference. Old style monitors and tv's are terrible for it so try and keep the radio stuff away from sources of interference. Have a little investigate by starting skypipe and the radio up and going around switching things on and off.

the call for the iss is PI9ISS

That call sign is for Andre Kuipers when he is on board the ISS he teturns to earth on the 1st July.

European callsign for voice DP0ISS, OR4ISS

Current ISS Expedition 31 Crew (Exp 31 began with the Soyuz TMA-22M undocking on April 27, 2012)

(Launch December 21, 2011, Landing - July 1, 2012)

Commander Oleg Kononenko, RN3DX

Flight Engineer André Kuipers, PI9ISS

Flight Engineer Don Pettit, KD5MDT

(Launch May 14, 2012, Landing - September 17, 2012)

Flight Engineer Gennady Padalka, RN3DT

Flight Engineer Joe Acaba, KE5DAR

Flight Engineer Sergei Revin, RN3BS

<a name="Upcoming_ISS_Expedition">Upcoming ISS Expedition 32 Crew (Exp 32 begins with the Soyuz TMA-03M undocking in July 2012)

(Launch May 14, 2012, Landing - September 17, 2012)

Commander Gennady Padalka, RN3DT

Flight Engineer Joe Acaba, KE5DAR

Flight Engineer Sergei Revin, RN3BS

(Launch July 15, 2012, Landing November 12, 2012)

Flight Engineer Sunita Williams, KD5PLB

Flight Engineer Yuri Malenchenko, RK3DUP

Flight Engineer Akihiko Hoshide, KE5DNI

This info is updated here A full list of "space hams" can be found here and as usual a full list of frequencies can be found here Europe is region one

Are you kiddin? you won't find one of those anywhere near middlesbrough confused.gifconfused.gif let alone in the UK

I heard some conversation and call sign from someone kept saying shuttle 12 tango then bleep went on for about half hour.

just wounderd what that could been from.

mind you i have made rabbit ear's antenna and also connecting to massive long wire along fence thats about 17 meters along garden kind of like goes 3 meters along then on angle.

The shuttle call sign most probably

British Airways domestic services use the call sign Shuttle.

What you need is something like this or this one, or one of these, you get the drift?. The radio you have is not so accurate with its frequency display, I started out with something similar to what you have now. smiley.gif

If i had money i would buy one them i may possibly get one them other hand helds sometime from maplins

for now me cheapy thing ideal for quick listening to some local planes flying past and fm meteor scatter somet new to radio astronomy i didnt even knew about thanks to Jim mentioning fm scatter.

I mite get this in couple months time mite get colleen to get me it for me birthday in october :)

either http://www.maplin.co...-scanner-591720

or the transciever http://www.maplin.co...and-held-509745

quite cheap

I once used to be well into all the Radio stuff back in 80's/90's used to have all them massive antenna's like GP's on massive poles from scafolding or from rugby fields and tripod antenna's :)

and once made portable cb radio on push bike with classic mag mount antenna and DTI came round and Checked me power wattage pmsl as it was pushing out lot wattage on level peaks i remember them good old days my handle used to be Plastic man i remember paying for the cb licence post office style, now they is hardly no one on CB band cant pick anyone up on it.

I wish i had all my cb radio stuff these days all them side band radio's and them fancey amplifiers to boost powers ;)

I also remember i had hand held CB radio only had so many channels and got stopped by police.

they thought i had police radio till showed them it was CB and they went.

I mite get this in couple months time mite get colleen to get me it for me birthday in october :)

either http://www.maplin.co...-scanner-591720

You would be better off with this one as the one you picked would be quite limited on frequencies

Only buy the transceiver if you have an amateur radio license, it isn't a scanner its limited to the 2metre amateur band.

There are loads of cheap scanners on ebay now that the emergency services have gone encrypted, I would look there first.

• 5 weeks later...

Will have to set radio up for the fm meteor scatter ready for the Perseid meteor shower 11 - 13 August :)

got couple radio's to test out

radiostuffmeteor.jpg

Probably use the mini crown radio has little switch on side dx or local

i switch it to dx dont i ?

Then tune to some frequency shows display on mini pocket radio.

wire that to some fm meteor scatter software on computer.

what is best meteor scatter software ?

I have

R_Meteor

Radio Skypipe

RDS Spy

WSJT9

or any other i havent mentioned.

That is the way it is set up via the web manger with each different radio site linked in together. Speclab refresshes via ftp every 60 seconds and the web pages refreshes every 45 seconds

Archived