Problem running Stellarium on Windows 7 64 bit

Andrew INT

Hi All,

Hopefully somebody can help me out here - I've read older posts regarding this problem but it did not fix the issue:

On Wednesday I managed to kill my old laptop (running on vista). A small bit of foil had found its way into a memory stick. The instant the device touched the USB post, the laptop was dead. :o(

Anyway, I have got myself a new laptop (Toshiba 660 satellite running on Windows 7 64 bit). However, I cannot get Stellarium to run. Clicking on the icon does nothing. I've tried XP compatability mode and also changing the properties to Desable Desktop Composition as well at running as an administrator. Still no joy.

Any pointers would be great please - I'm not too hot at changing settings etc... so any nice, simple instructions for a numpty would be great!

Thanks in advance...

Kind regards,

Andrew

Maybe double check your graphics settings for OpenGL to be compatible with Stellarium's requirements and install the latest graphics drivers if you have older ones? I had a similar issue with an older Win XP 32-bit laptop where Stellarium 0.11.3 was just freezing up. Altering the Open GL settings (I think I was prompted inside Stellarium) resolved the problem for me. Incidentally I have had no issue with Stellarium 0.11.3 on my main pc using Win 7 64-bit OS but I do keep the graphics drivers updated.

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks for all your advice so far, but still no joy. I've checked that I have the most up-to-date graphics driver. I've also re-installed the latest stellarium version. I've even tried running the program from a memory stick which I know ran okay on XP and Vista.

Running under administrator, the desktop briefly sets to Windows basic, but then returns to the aero again after a few seconds. Stellarium never opens - not even the start-up title graphic.

Hi All,

Hopefully somebody can help me out here - I've read older posts regarding this problem but it did not fix the issue:

On Wednesday I managed to kill my old laptop (running on vista). A small bit of foil had found its way into a memory stick. The instant the device touched the USB post, the laptop was dead. :o(

Anyway, I have got myself a new laptop (Toshiba 660 satellite running on Windows 7 64 bit). However, I cannot get Stellarium to run. Clicking on the icon does nothing. I've tried XP compatability mode and also changing the properties to Desable Desktop Composition as well at running as an administrator. Still no joy.

Any pointers would be great please - I'm not too hot at changing settings etc... so any nice, simple instructions for a numpty would be great!

Thanks in advance...

Kind regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, i have exactly the same laptop that you've just got and stellarium runs fine on mine. I'd try uninstalling it and downloading it again.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

D.C

Have you tried installing and running in 32 bit?

Mine installed into the x86 Program Files directory and works just fine.

Hi Squeaky, the file automatically installed to the x86. It that the 32bit area? (sorry, I only use software, not too hot on anything much beyond that!)

Hi Andrew, i have exactly the same laptop that you've just got and stellarium runs fine on mine. I'd try uninstalling it and downloading it again.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

D.C

Okay, now I'm worried!!!

Unistall, full shutdown and restart, log on as admin, install software, then restart computer again.

Make sure when you have done the above, you start the program from the start menu and NOT a shortcut icon (on desktop) just to make sure it is the right file...

Fingers crossed for you

I've also got the same laptop running Windows 7 and I've installed and run Stellarium withno problems.

If its a new laptop then you could consider reinstalling the operating system... Or learning how to use CdC!

Andrew, sorry to hear you have not been able to make much progress with what seems a driver problem. What model of the laptop are you running, the Toshiba site mentions 15 different C660 series models all with either a Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD, unspecified 'Intel® HD Graphics' or Intel® HD Graphics 3000? Does your laptop manual give more clues to the specific graphics? I have had success finding otherwise impossible to find drivers from here-http://drp.su/download.htm As you can access the Internet you can have it scan your pc for the required driver. As always it's at your own risk...

Best regards,

Steve

Archived