Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hello good people!

After using EQ2 mounts and imaging planets for almost a year, I think it's about time for me to start imaging DSO's!

I think I can just about afford to get the skywatcher 150p on EQ3-2 mount.

Will the mount be ok with a dslr or should I wait a while and get the 200p EQ5?

The HEQ5 mount is just too expensive for me, unfortunately. I would just like to know if the EQ3-2 or EQ5 is capable of imaging DSO's

Thanks!

Quatermass has done imaging quite successfully with the 200P on an EQ5, but it's pretty demanding. stan26 has also done some very good imaging on an EQ3-2, but you need something far smaller than a 150P. More like an 80ED. Have a scan through their threads in the DIY and imaging sections to get an idea of what they're doing and how they're doing it.

James

• Like 1

No, I've no intention of using it for imaging.

James

Hi there, and welcome to the dark side!

In very simplistic terms the mount is considered the most important feature, by many, when starting to image DSO - myself included. When you think about it you are trying to collect light which is dim and from a 'moving' object. To that end you want a sturdy and accurate mount (and will inevitably want to guide at some point - although I have seen many fine examples of unguided work!).

Now that doesn't mean to say your suggested mount is not going to be any good. On subjects like Orion or Andromeda your should get some reasonable results - its all about expectation!

Get yourself a copy of Making Every Photon Count before buying a mount, the worst thing you can do is rush into a decision and in several months time find yourself upgrading. The nights are light so use the summer months to research, read the above mentioned book and, of course, ask questions here....good luck.

Best of luck :D and don't be shy in asking questions here if you anymore advice.

Hi John, for about the same price as an eq3 plus motor drives and polar scope you could pick up a second hand mk1 HEQ5 which has everything you need built in, I have one it cost about 280 and even though its not the pro model its much nicer to image with than my old EQ5, check out Astrobuy and sell, pretty much everything in my sig's second hand from there. I can vouch for the 150p as well, I was out with mine last night imaging M57 and It was a joy to use, really sucked in the photons and its fairly light, I did have the 200p but I found it too heavy to lug around.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrophoto_canada
      Hello Everyone, 
      This is my first post on this forum (although I've lurked in the shadows for a while). So I thought I'd share some of the modifications that I've had done to the new Mesu MkII I received last week in case someone can benefit. Sadly I haven't tried it imaging yet only balanced, slewed it around and read the Sitech documentation to make sure everything is functioning.  The day it arrived we plunged into sub-zero temps and snow 😫. 
      The mods include an extended wedge for some limited imaging past the meridian, and an angled counterweight bar for clearance in the tight space.  Some have commented in other posts on the long Mesu CW bar but its necessary to balance the weight of the head (unloaded) and to accommodate counterweights for the significant payload. Once tested I'll be loading this bad-boy with a number of different focal length scopes as changing equipment at 25C below is not fun. I lasted one winter doing this and the automated ESO (Exceedingly Small Observatory) was born.
      Has anybody with this mount installed homing switches? The Sitech1 controller has an aux port for this purpose. For me this would be for integration into the ROR control system to prevent an expensive mistake.  Eventually the goal will be to monitor for inclement weather and shut down the system safely or automate parking and calibration frames at the end of a normal session. This is a work in progress as I only completed the ROR roof upgrades this summer. 
      Thanks
      Gary.
      PS That flats panel needs moving. It was ok with the old mount but every inch counts now! 

• By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £700
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton

• By Spacecake2
      Hello,
      I know you've seen these questions a lot (unless your new) but I'm struggling a lot on if I should buy a Skywatcher 250px (10") or 200px (8") (dobsonians). I have a 5 inch and i'm looking for a big step up for noticeable changes. 
      Thank you 

• By Peggson
      I shot this yesterday from a Bortle 6 backyard. Edited in Pixinsight and Photoshop

If someone here knows how to remove purple stars, please  help me . I tried defringing but it didn't really work.
      Also the date is wrong should be 9.10.2020. lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.