SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Voyager 1

I find it absolutely amazing that Voyager 1 & 2 were initially designed for five year inter-planetary missions and yet they are still going. An amazing feat of engineering.

http://voyager.jpl.n...didyouknow.html

http://voyager.jpl.n.../factsheet.html

Very true Sam. It's amazing how the transmitted signals reach the earth over such a vast distance, considering the signal strength must be very weak indeed.

I read at some time that it was equivalent to the energy emitted by a lone candle, however that translates.

Credit must go to the power of the receiving station I guess.

Ron.

It's incredible that these fragile craft (well they certainly look it from the pics) are still going, but great to hear that they are still making discoveries. I wonder how far out they'll get before we're no longer able to receive any signals from them ?

It's incredible that these fragile craft (well they certainly look it from the pics) are still going, but great to hear that they are still making discoveries. I wonder how far out they'll get before we're no longer able to receive any signals from them ?

I think the plutonium fuelling them will run out before that happens. 10-15 more years apparently.

What's so fascinating about these two crafts, are what other great images or discoveries they will find, we have no idea what lies beyond our solar system, new planets, they may even discover a planet with life on them, can NASA control these crafts from so far out , if life was out there just think of the excitement, for months that's all we would hear, looking forward to see what new discoveries they wil find

What's so fascinating about these two crafts, are what other great images or discoveries they will find, we have no idea what lies beyond our solar system, new planets, they may even discover a planet with life on them, can NASA control these crafts from so far out , if life was out there just think of the excitement, for months that's all we would hear, looking forward to see what new discoveries they wil find

it would take them over 70,000 years to get to the nearest star. I don't think they are running many instruments though just bare minimum.

We'll have destroyed ourselves by then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to think that one day (maybe not too far in the future) we'll be able to go out and retrieve these little technological heros and put them in a museum. Or would it be better to let them continue on their journey, wherever it may lead ?

i belive that one day somthing will cross their paths, the only drawback is who will it be, and will they be able to break the information disc inside, showing them who we are and where we live. I have always said that was their biggest mistake. But unil that day comes no one knows the answer to that one

Archived