Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation-bag of nerves!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's weird, I was literally just writing my "Welcome" thread when I saw this.

A quote from my very first thread "If anyone was like me and was dreading collimation, please don't, it's painless, quite easy, and educational (I pretty much feel like I could take the scope apart and rebuild it now)"

I really do stand by this comment, I feel I've gained quite a lot from doing collimation, even tho I've not actually used the scope outdoors yet!

Phew just about calming down now,felt like i was dealing with a UXB,my hands have never shook so much,i had to finish the other half of bottle,good job it was only a miniature :grin:

Well i think i do now have a better understanding of it,but i think i would feel happier if it was checked over by someone who knows whats what with it all,as i feel i don't really know how i did do it. :shocked:

That center screw really moved things about quite a bit just by touching it,but then realised that the magnetic screwdriver wasn't helping so changed that to a none magnetic one which did help.

Also does the Skywatcher 200p have a metal plate on the base,as mine doesn't??

This is a second hand 200p that is supposed to be about six months old.

Well, Having read this and other threads I have finally collimated my scope..

Not a scary as I thought.. Now all I need is some night time and clear skies to see if it has made any improvment... :rolleyes:

Well done Hawkeye :laugh:

Well i'm afraid to say it looks like i have gone wrong some where along the lins as i don't have the three primary mirror clips showing??

I have been playing with it again on and off today,and although i can see the clips when i move the secondary mirror i just can't get them on the edge showing during collimation.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong with it :huh:

Thanks for that Skyhigh,but i did watch that when Astrosurf mentioned it,and i am doing all that he is doing.

The only thing different is that i am using a Chesire rather than the cap.Would it be that making the difference??

I have got all the circles lined up as the bulls eye effect but am just not getting the clips showing on the edge.

In some scopes using a cheshire you can't see all 3 clips. Try using a cap. Don't get too hung up on collimation Paulus17. Its easy to get a bit obsessed with it. You'll end up spending all your time tinkering trying to achieve perfection and you'll get no observing time. Get things as close as you can and see how things look :)

Argh ok Steve,thanks for that.

I will get a cap for future use but in the mean time will leave the scope as it is,as it all looks central, and try it out when we get some clear skies,if ever.

If you can't see the clips try backing the focusser out as far as it will go, at a push you can look straight down the draw tube without a cap but it's really hard to keep your eye central but as the others above have said don't get too hung up about it !

Archived