Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 has less stars for alignment than EQ5?

Dipper

With EQ5 Synscan there are 90 stars embedded for polar alignment (source: http://www.vcse.hu/konyvtar/Cikkek/SkyScan_Alignment_Stars.pdf) and I was fiddling with NEQ6 the other day and it only showed me 20-odd stars. Could it be that Synscan is "hiding" the stars that are below horizon or close to it so that they don't appear or does it really have fewer stars for polar alignment?

So noone experienced this? Does the list of stars offered for polar alignment change depending on what stars are visible at that moment? I tried it once more yesterday and although I didn't check them one by one but it looked like the same 25 or so stars, far short of 90 that are listed in the chart.

I Believe the selection changes depending on your location and date. I often have difficulty with a 3 star alignment as it wont let me chose the available stars I can actually see (the east is obstructed by our house.

You may be confusing the star alignment list with the polar alignment feature. The pdf was created in 2006 and is the list of alignment stars. The polar alignment feature may have a smaller number of stars or it would be sensible to filter out stars that are below the horizon.

Peter

Archived