Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

clouds, clouds, more clouds & now seagulls...

teleaddict

I'm getting just a little bit cheesed off now, after weeks of total cloud cover on the nights I'm not working....

... I went out into the garden before to see if there was any hope of a glance of a star tonight and got dive bombed by a kamikaze seagull.

It appears it's been that long since I had the chance of viewing clear skys, that not only have the gulls nested on my chimney, but their eggs have hatched and the first fluffy chick has been daft enough to have a go at flying. Resulting in it now taking up residence on the flat roof of next doors extension (12 feet above my viewing area), whilst its protective parents dive bomb anything within a 25 yard radius. :angry5:

I once stayed at a friends place while they were away and thought it was very generous of them to let me have a little holiday in Sidmouth. Their flat is on the top floor of a listed building with interesting architectural features and great big dormer windows that helped provide a panoramic view of the coastline and promenade, what could possibly go wrong? Yes, seagulls with chicks and what a racket at 3:00 am in the morning. I grew up by the sea as a child but never suffered the privilege of seagulls screeching out and jumping up and down on the roof. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic birds but best appreciated during the daylight hours and after a good night's sleep! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

James

We get seagulls following the ploughs around here and we're ten miles inland! Fortunately they don't hang around. There's probably too much competition from the crows and jackdaws.

James

How about a real Hitchcock scene at 4:30am in the morning?

There were 50 jackdaws divebombing my peanut feeder! Had to get up and remove the feeder and will do so every night. Never seen or heard anything like it - there was an injured jackdaw in the fracas but he flew away.

Hee hee the only thing i hear at night are owls and bats flying around the garden, which backs onto a park and maybe hear the odd hedgepig snuffling along. But i think they are all cool and i love it :grin: :grin:

clear skies Den.

It appears it's been that long since I had the chance of viewing clear skys, that not only have the gulls nested on my chimney, but their eggs have hatched and the first fluffy chick has been daft enough to have a go at flying. Resulting in it now taking up residence on the flat roof of next doors extension (12 feet above my viewing area), whilst its protective parents dive bomb anything within a 25 yard radius. :angry5:

You know those battery powered electic fly swatters?

Now use an extention lead, some bare wire and a stringless tennis racket and your imagination.

Here's a challenge for you, try to track the seagulls with the scope! Oh ok, that might be a bit daft. :grin:

Wow, fancy having you primary totaled by seagull poo strike. Caustic stuff guano!

Well, the skys actually cleared last night and I saw stars for the first time in weeks. So out came the scope and to the centre of my garden I ventured. 20 seconds later I was diving for cover, dam seagulls.... :angry1:.

Not to miss the opportunity, I ended up repositioning closer to the house out of the gulls sight and managed to have a play with my xbox cam to get a good shot of saturn, after taking in the fly-by of the ISS :laugh:

Glad I did, as tonight the stars are gone and the clouds have returned......

The last time I had a few moment for solar viewing I was aligning my finder scope on the chimney when I hear two noises.

Squawk , splat.

A seagull had just bombed my telescope bag.

Fortunately the blast zone was nowhere near my telescope and the droppings had just missed my eyepieces by about 30cm!

Archived