SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cloudy Cambridgeshire!

Geesus

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Cannot recal 100% but for North and East of Cambridge on the A142, Ely to somewhere road, isn't there a couple of public car park just off the road?

Seem to recall passing them advertised for parking for a walk or something, nature reserve possibly. Not sure how far off the road they are but they would allow cars to be parked, a flat area, reasonable access and reasonably dark skies. Being where they are (may be) the biggest hill will be about 6-8 inches high.

Cannot see them on google maps however.

For South of Cambridge has anyone looked at the RSPB reserve at Fowlmere? The car park at the reserve is no use but the approach road into it is pretty good. Best idea is to drive down to the car park, turn round head back out and park up facing the way out on the left hand side.

So am I- where exactly?

I'm just off Newmarket Rd- about as central as you can get.

Probably no more than 5-10 minutes from you, near Elizabeth way bridge and chesterton roundabout.

I really want to hit some southern targets (e.g. Rosette Nebula) this winter so I'll need to find a good site as it's totally blocked at home and also would go right through the light dome.

Fowlmere looked pretty good to me ronin, the right side of Cambridge. Key things are place to park-up that's also safe, might need to check it out too.

The small side road into Fowlmere reserve car park is a good place to park up.

The road is just about wide enough for 2 cars to squeeze past and is something like 600 yards before the car park area, the car park itself is no good of viewing as it is surrounded on all sides by trees.

On the right as you go in is a flat firm verge, about as wide as the road.

Simple answer is to drive in, (mind the holes in the road), turn round in the car park and head out, then simply park up half on the road half on the grass that is now on the left. Couple of small bushes trees so don't damage them.

Views are pretty good, all low and slight light pollution in the distance from Cambridge, but that is low down as well.

If I go then I tend just to take binoculars as I need a power lead for the scope to use the car connector in the boot. May see about an alternative, or may get off my backside and visit Maplins.

It is fairly quiet, fairly dark and low horizons.

Concerning safety no one can suddenly appear as you also have good views of all the roads that can access the place.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I'm in Huntingdon with3 street lamps about 20 feet from where I set up my scope, not ideal conditions, however, I have just done a search on light polluted areas and have found somewhere close that my be OK? Its called Pertenhall, just off the Kimbolton Road, will take a drive down there next week and check it out.

Archived