SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Liverpool.

Watch

Hello SGL,

I have joined this forum in order to learn more about astronomy and to seek help on where to begin. I use to have a classic shop bought telescope from Argos when I was about 8 that I used to watch a lunar eclipse with and it was amazing and it is a memory that has always stuck with me and kept me interested in astronomy.

However I am completely new to astronomy but have been reading several websites that provide help and information to beginners, such as articles on the Astronomy magazine website and on the Sky and Telescope website. I was thinking about subscribing to the Astronomy magazine and was wondering if this would be recommended? I have also seen the several sticky posts in the beginners help and advice section about recommended reading that I will definitely look into.

I have an average pair of binoculars and no telescope and no books currently. I was also wondering if anyone has used the Startracker4s App for their Iphone and if it was a useful tool for beginners.

Thanks, I look forward to getting to know you all.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Binoculars are a great introduction to the hobby. I started with bins and was amazed just how much more can be seen than with the naked eye. BTW I lived in Liverpool until I moved up here 20yrs ago and wondered how you cope with the light pollution?

I can second the use of stellarium and I have also used a program specifically intended for the bino viewer called T.U.B.A. Sorry, I don't have the link to post but if I'm sure you will find it if you Google it.

Also, a good book to get is Turn Left At Orion which includes sketches of what you may expect to see in binoculars.

HTH

Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the link to Stellarium Jim, just installed it and loving it already.

In response to the light pollution problem Albenn, I live quite far out of Liverpool in the "suburbs" so I guess its a little bit better than the city centre? To be honest it's been so cloudy for weeks I haven't even had a chance to really get started yet! I will look into those books, but to be honest I'd rather use a telescope than binoculars, I just thought binoculars where a useful starter?

Hi and welcome from another Liverpudlian (although living in the south). Before subscribing to a magazine, you could always try buying the odd copy from W.H. Smiths and see which one you like best. Personally I like Astronomy magazine, not so keen on Sky At Night magazine. Its a personal choice I suppose.

Hi and welcome!

I think I like Astronomy Now most. I'd definitely recommend Turn Left at Orion, and binoculars are a great thing for grab and go/cloud dodging astronomy. Oddly enough, I use mine more now that I actually have my own scope...guess I now realise just how precious those odd moments between clouds are, when you haven't got so much time to set up a scope.

binoculars are a great thing for grab and go/cloud dodging astronomy. Oddly enough, I use mine more now that I actually have my own scope...guess I now realise just how precious those odd moments between clouds are, when you haven't got so much time to set up a scope.

This is so true. I was fortunate enough to have had an x (still an ace friend of mine) who bought me a nice set of binos many, many years ago. That way, little by little, I learnt some of the night sky and its general movement and position which stood me in good stead when it came to using my first scope. I do think binos are often over looked when it comes to buying glass to see space, there's something less appealing about them, I imagine.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Binoculars provide a very useful route into astronomy and are not to be underestimated in what they can show you. You might want to take a look at this website for ideas of what targets to search for (some other good bits on there too) and in addition, you might want to look at this site as well for more additional targets. This suggestions along with 'Stellarium' that you have just downloaded will keep you out of mischief for a while! :grin: :grin:

The key thing is not to rush, the stars aren't going anywhere and is especially true when it comes to buying kit. Lots of experience (commission free!) on here that will point you in the right direction and it might be a good idea to see if your local astro club has any kit that it can lend out as a way of seeing what works for you. It is certainly a way of getting your head round all the specifications and what difference these numbers make at the eyepiece.

Clear skies for now,

James

Archived