SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barnard's loop revisited

GlassWalker

orion20111228a-s.jpg

integration_DBE-c.jpg

Top pic is my original process in December. 2nd pic is a reprocess I just did a moment ago. I've been refining my technique. The 1st was rather basic - align, stack, tweak, post. On the 2nd one was done a little differently, with colour separation done earlier on (H-alpha on bayer is never fun), improved gradient removal, and more aggressive star removal and bringing out the nebulosity harder. Caution: I know Picasa which I use to host these images re-compress the red channel rather badly so try not to look too hard at the jpeg artefacts. I'm also a little cautious if the low level stuff is real or just a side effect of my processing.

From my notes at the time (December):

The sky was kinda annoying tonight. It seemed quite clear of orange light pollution to the naked eye, but I couldn't see "deep" myself with for example not even the whole of the W of Cassiopeia was visible.

H-alpha only data. Combination of:

14x2 minutes ISO1600

7x4 minutes ISO400

5x4 minutes ISO1600

Modified Canon 450D, Astronomik H-alpha filter, Zeiss 50mm f/2 makro.

Archived