SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Northamptonshire

redskyatnight

Hello,

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself to everyone. The natural world and the vastness of the universe has always fascinated me, however I am really a complete novice to astronomy. It has taken me a while to work out how to post this ‘thread’ so maybe there’s not much hope for me as a stargazer! Trying to do things properly, so resisting the near overwhelming urge to buy a telescope! Have acquired a planetarium, Night Sky app and pair of 10 x 50’s – now just waiting for a clear night……mmmm. Have now confirmed to family & friends their long held suspicions that I am really a geek, but am now too old to care! Have been amazed by the amount of information & number of excellent astronomy web sites available (obviously including this Stargazers Lounge!). I look forward to many hours of research (whilst overcast) and hopefully scanning the skies over Northamptonshire sometime soon.

Cheers

redskyatnight

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to geek central! :grin:

Looks like you're taking the right approach, taking your time to read and breathe it all in. You might like to consider downloading a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" here. Lots of useful features including the date/time advance feature which will tell you what's coming up and when. It's very easy to use and has some 'toys' to play with when the clouds come in and it can be configured to match the night sky from your observing location. As you are currently observing with binoculars, you might also like to take a look at this website along with this one too for suggestions on possible viewing targets etc.

Clear skies for now.

James

Hi & welcome - I'm pretty new to all this as well and have been using a borrowed scope while I work out what kit to buy. You'll find SGL is full of friendly and helpful people who'll be more than happy to give advice and answer questions.

Archived