Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scientists Claim to Have Broken Speed of Light

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

This does not seem surprising, but if true, is an experimental validation of Quantum Electrodynamics. Relativity requires that the average velocity of light in vacuum is c, but says nothing of individual photons. Richard Feynman co-won the 1965 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on QED - how photons behave and interact with electrons. In a nutshell, QED says photons do not all travel at c - some are faster and some are slower. They also don't all travel in straight lines. One sums up the probability for all possible paths to get the average path taken (usually, a straight line, unless one squeezes the path with one or two slits, and then other photon paths become obvious). Read Feynman's excellent book "QED" which explains it all quite simply. And before you flame the concept, keep in mind that QED is one of the most successfully verified theories there are.

Cheers,

James

You mean pick fault with Feynman's sums Gort? I might be daft, but I'm not that daft. :D There has to be a lot of good stuff in his theories so that he could win the prize, almost all of it over my head, but I'll take the C=mean V as read, if that's what the man said.

QED will be on my shopping list of books that I don't understand properly, and go on the shelf next to A Brief History of Time.

It'll probably be one like ABHOT that I can read and understand, then have to re-read when I realise that, actually I don't get, it a week later.

Nice to have you here Gort, please don't stop the earth again, well not during the day, anyway. :lol:

Kaptain klevtsov

QED is certainly easier than ABHOT. I find Hawking confusing even on a good day!

BTW, Klaatu Barrato Nikto! I won't make the earth stop today (for all the youngsters out there, look up the 1952 SciFi classic with Michael Rennie), but my REAL name is actually "Gort". I still would like to collect some royalties!

Cheers,

James Gort

Archived