Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Good and safe observing sites in the West Mids?

Dazzyd

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With referance to The Green I know that site as well and am worried about local lights the pub and other buildings nearby and how much is camping there?

Brow farm is very dark with only minimal lighes visible and generally a quiet site with no caravans with porch lights on all night (one of my bugbears).

Please keep me in the loop for the Ratlinghope meet. It's only about 3 miles as the crow flies from me. If the site is where I think it is, you'll have a bit of hill blocking most of the light dome from Shrewsbury. Same to the east for Telford. South and West should be inky.

With referance to The Green I know that site as well and am worried about local lights the pub and other buildings nearby and how much is camping there?

Brow farm is very dark with only minimal lighes visible and generally a quiet site with no caravans with porch lights on all night (one of my bugbears).

Hi Steve the pub lights are pretty much at the front of it. The only real light issue is a cabin that acts as reception. They have a field at the far end of the site that is dark. Had a couple nearly walk in to me and my scope last time we pitched there :o. Price is 15 I think for tent and two people.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have visited blakelands and that would be a great site, not sure about the lights from nearby wolverhampton international airport though! Ive also though himley hall may be a good site, I used to play golf there and still know the owner, if I could get enough interest im sure I could sort something out.

Rich T

To all on this thread

Hi

The RATLINGHOPE Star Camp is going ahead Fri12 - Sun 14 Oct 2012

Campsire £5/head/night. No electricity.

At Brow Farm Ratlinghope Shropshire. All welcome.

Please let me know if you intend to come.

Further info galaxyzoo90@yahoo.com

52 34 10 LAT

02 53 05 LONG

N.G.R. 3402,2969

Tents Vans & Caravans all welcome.

• 2 months later...

Ratlinghope camp went well, clear dusk till dawn on the Saturday/Sunday but very cold.

Still working on Cannock Chase as possible locations, but the visitors centre field may be too close to the road and headlights will be a problem.

Am in contact with a county councilor for the chase area and hope to get a meeting with the Ranger Service to get their input to find a suitable site.

Stargazinglive -- I am involved with two 8th Jan Bonningale Church and adjacent field with Woilves A.S.

17th Jan Perton Library see the BBC web site for info.

Merry Xmas all

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have visited blakelands and that would be a great site, not sure about the lights from nearby wolverhampton international airport though! Ive also though himley hall may be a good site, I used to play golf there and still know the owner, if I could get enough interest im sure I could sort something out.

Rich T

Hi Rich,

I would be interested in Himley mate.

Hi everyone,

Rich T

I'm only in Kingswinford, keep me posted too, would love to have a dark site viewing! :)

Dan.

Same here! Especially if it means I can get a few pointers off some more experienced gazers. might do some digging around my work as well to see if I can get any authorisation to use a certain area of it...Tis pretty dark but not sure how often I'll be able to swing access or for what sort of time length.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone up for tonight forcast clear but windy Wed 6th Feb to look at and pick the best location on Cannock chase, had a visit with the head ranger and he suggested about 10 car parks to look at, with a view to getting it on the Darkskydiscovery web site?

PM me for details, I will be on the chase about 7:30 tonight if it remains clear. but I would rather not go alone !!

• 2 years later...

Hi all

There is a group of us that use a site near Cosford RAF base, they dont fly at night from there. its dark away from car lights etc

I am also looking at locations on Cannock Chase.

Steve

Hi Steve, I will be watching this thread, I am based in Cannock and would also like to find a place near cannock chase, there is a huge hill in Huntington that was formed when they were closing littleton pit, I have been up there in the day time and it looks very good.

• 5 months later...

Archived