Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Good and safe observing sites in the West Mids?

Dazzyd

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the Lickeys and the Clent Hills have some good spots but they are very popular with the wrong sort of people (I've met some). This also means that the police are keen to keep people moving. For Clent it's probably best to park in Clent village and then walk up the hill, which is a bit of a pain if you have a lot of heavy kit. Perhaps we could organise a mass arrival at the Lickey Monument car park - all arrive together and then not do anything rude :smiley:

This is why I have been looking for siteswhere we can park and then setup a short, easy walk away. Just far enough to be away from those looking for car-based entertainment.

An alternative is to look at camp sites that we could use in the winter months. This is likely to involve payment but if a sufficiently flexible agreement can be reached it would be worth it.

I too have had to experience the influx of cars at Highgate common...It was boy racer and canine city!! lol...I think they all got a shock when they saw me and 2 others with telescopes and cameras on tripods!

I would love to find some more dark sites around the area (living in Stourbridge) - I have found a couple of sites in Clent Hills which may be quite good (not sure how busy they get at night) - The postcode for one is B62 ONL.

If you use Google Earth once it pinpoints it...If you look to the left there is a Car Park...I have used Street View and you can see there is a sign on the entrance saying closed at 9pm...we could easily park at the entrance and walk through the side and have a clear empty car park with amazing views!!

If you look below where Google Earth stops there is a lay-by on the side of the road, another option there, although i have been told u get the usual unsavories parking there though unfortunately.

Sorry to intrude on this post though, but would really like to get out the back garden and meet up with some fellow star gazers :)

Sutton Park (lots of trees but some open spaces for good overhead views). However, both are closed off to cars at night, so, while you could take a chance what/whoever might be 'about', you'd need to carry your gear along on foot.

I have used the Flying Field at Sutton Park. It is screened from the paths by trees so nice and quiet. Lots of orange glow low down but nice views higher up. It is a 10-15 minute walk from the nearest all-night parking space, so not so good if you have a 16 inch Dob.

I have found a couple of sites in Clent Hills which may be quite good (not sure how busy they get at night) - The postcode for one is B62 ONL.

If you use Google Earth once it pinpoints it...If you look to the left there is a Car Park...I have used Street View and you can see there is a sign on the entrance saying closed at 9pm...we could easily park at the entrance and walk through the side and have a clear empty car park with amazing views!!

The safest spot I have found at Clent is to park here http://goo.gl/maps/ZkmdM and walk up the hill. The car park is overlooked by houses so doesn't get too canine. I have also parked here http://goo.gl/maps/NkxEY and walked up from there, it's a quicker (although steeper) walk to a decent spot than from the main car cark entrance.

As Dan Watts says, the main car park is locked at 9pm, although pedestrain access is always available, but the area around there is a bit dodgy. The path from the main car park can get very muddy.

Dont park here http://goo.gl/maps/l3N8g, don't even stop and certainly don't flash your lights.

Well folks,i have been mailing round a few campsites in what looks to be darkish areas and have had one positive reply back from a site in Aston Cantlow.

I know some other members have been to AS and have said that AS is a good area to view.

The owner of the campsite has said we can use the site during the winter months when the site is cleared of tourers.

There will be no toilets nor water feeds to the site as it is turned off,not sure about leccy i will check if needed?

We can take the cars into the site which as a tarmac path all round so the cars can be parked up without the worry of been bogged down when its muddy.

No fee is required though she did ask that we make a donation to Mcmillan cancer.

Obviously if the site is suitable and we want to use it we would have to phone and make arangements with the owners.

If it's what I'm looking at on G-maps (island meadow caravan park), looks quite 'cosy'. Could park up around the triangle and set scopes up in the middle. Need to sort a portable power supply though, if leccy not gonna be on, although with that arrangement, feasible to connect up direct to the car!

im an hours drive away, but looks feasible (if i can drive an hour for fishing, damn sure i can do same for some decent skies). leccy left on great, no problem paying. looking more and more like a 'go'!!

:laugh:

P.S.

am having trouble locating the 'site pictures' post, could someone point me in the right direction.

cheers

Rick

ok, just found it, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I am having problems starting a new post, so this is also in Wolves & Black country thread of Astro Events

Anyone up for a camping meet in Ratlinghope valley Shropshire, good dark site, no power hookups so batteries only, good pub down the road a bit, the site is open all year I think and I have been many times. I have access to a large tent (will seat more than a dozen with scopes) if we need shelter and as a place to meet and chat.

See the forum on camping equipment for advice

Site is at 52 34 10 02 53 05 ( no idea how to get deg min & sec marks on here)

If interested PM me on here or mail me at galaxyzoo90@yahoo.com

Will also post this in Wolves & Black Country thread

I am having problems starting a new post, so this is also in Wolves & Black country thread of Astro Events

Anyone up for a camping meet in Ratlinghope valley Shropshire, good dark site, no power hookups so batteries only, good pub down the road a bit, the site is open all year I think and I have been many times. I have access to a large tent (will seat more than a dozen with scopes) if we need shelter and as a place to meet and chat.

See the forum on camping equipment for advice

Site is at 52 34 10 02 53 05 ( no idea how to get deg min & sec marks on here)

If interested PM me on here or mail me at galaxyzoo90@yahoo.com

Will also post this in Wolves & Black Country thread

I'd be up for it

Carry on down a bit and you get The Green which Ive been using for over 20 yrs, pub onsite and hook ups, The Bridge is a nice pub though by the Brow Farm. The skies there are very clear, one of the only places Ive been where you can see the Milky Way, You can not go wrong in this area, they is a little bit of lp towards Shrewbury but it doesn't affect your viewing. also about 40 min drive away at most is this place http://www.spaceguarduk.com/ great place .

Archived