Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Our sun with a bit missing :(

Ant

After seeing this thread from Grinde, I'm not sure I should be posting this... I was quite happy till I saw his :)

I borrowed a PST from Jon to use during the transit. I didn't get to use it then, but I woke to blue skies and just had to have a go.

I'm still working through 16Gb of AVI's that I took :shocked: but here is a couple of images that I've processed. The whole disc (well mostly whole) was taken with the DMK with the lens cell of a 2x barlow screwed into 1.25" adapter - giving around 1.5ish increase. It also meant that I could reach focus without any butchering of stuff.

gallery_2_1843_99873.jpg

As you can see this is a mosaic of around8 or 9 panes. I do have the bit for the middle but it was very poor quality and actually makes the image worse when it's added. I'm annoyed about the limb missing though... more care next time. Also the joins are clearly visible, so again lots to learn and to try and put right for next time.

I've added the Earth to give a sense of scale.

The next image is same set up but this time I've removed the 2x barlow cell and added in the 2.5 Televue powermate.

gallery_2_1843_24075.jpg

This was again around 2000 frames with about 1000 used in the stack.

Both images have been made "colour" in PSCS5 along with a little play with curves. A slightly larger Earth is again added for scale.

Hope you like?

Ant

Great images Ant! and the scale of earth agaist the sun is just scarey! makes you realise how small we really are...and when you think about the other massive stars and well anything out there in the cosmos and we are just dwaft by so much of it....brrrrr gives me the willys!

Where do you get the tiny Earth picture from and how do you allign it to scale with the Sun? Seen a few people do this already.

I just typed in earth to google and picked an image, I was concerned about copyright until I realised how small the images ended up being :)

The full disc was from memory 935 pixels wide, the sun is... 1392000km 935/1392000 = 0.00067169.

The Earth is 12715km, 12715 x 0.00067169 = 8.1 pixel. So in PS I resized the image to 8 pixels...

For the other image I worked out the increase in image scale and did the same calculation, came out to around 11 pixels.

Thanks for the comments :)

Ant

Archived