sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

Sara, picked this up from Martin's web site skyinspector but basically I set cam at 60fps, about 80% of maximum gain, as much gamma as I can get away with, exposure of 1/1200 or 1/1600 and set to capture for 5 mins. Make sure finder is perfectly aligned and watch out for the ISS coming over the horizon. I then start the capture and follow the ISS as best as I can in the finder. I then put the AVI through PIPP and then process the PIPP output bmp files in Registax 6.

wow - thats fantastic.

I had my first go at trying to get it a couple of nights ago - really hard to track in the finder - I've just about got the upsidedown left-to-right thing mastered for star hopping, but its a whole different ballgame when the target is moving at speed - Im guessing that it takes a bit of practice before you can get enough frames to process.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jim-a, I usually end up with about 13,000 frames in the AVI of which only about 400 have the full ISS on them. These are obviously from different points in the AVI so usually I end up stacking 30-50 images from the same point in the transit.

If you're out to get a sight of the ISS tonight go out a couple of minutes early and try and spot the Dragon C2 rocket which is in a decaying orbit after delivering the SpaceX capsule last month (rocket due down on the 24th) it's obviously following a very similar course.

This link might work

http://www.calsky.com/csephem.cgi?&object=Satellite&number=38349

Mel

Unpredictable Sandra, we saw it on Saturday night and its first pass was fairly bright but its second pass was very dim compared to the ISS.

Mel

Ah right, so it could be like the normal sats we see? But perhaps a bit brighter? 11.20ish I think it is for our way