SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Colliford Lake

Mike73

I had a day scouting around for new dark sites on Friday and ended up at Colliford Lake on Bodmin Moor.

Clear views in all directions, easy access as its only a few miles off the A30 and Neddless.org estimates it should have around mag 6 skies which is good enough for me! :)

It has 4 car parks on the western side of the lake but I'm not sure if they attract other night time visitors but theres scores of little dead end dirt tracks around if you really want to make sure your not disturbed.

I havent observed from this site yet but it certainly looks promising so I thought I'd give a little heads up for anyone wanting to find darker skies this autumn. :)

post-20821-0-53886900-1339314788_thumb.j

post-20821-0-68365500-1339314795_thumb.j

post-20821-0-64615500-1339314830_thumb.p

post-20821-0-36092000-1339314840_thumb.p

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I know Colliford Lake well as we walk the dogs up there (two greyhounds) when the weather is good and as you say the views are uninterrupted in all directions. I too have thought of this as site but never pursued it as it is some distance from me. Another good site would be up at The Minions (Cheesering) where the same applies.

I don't know if it is possible to camp up at Colliford, but would be handy if you could because an all-nighter would give people more interest in coming along, rather than for a couple of hours and then having to travel back. Probably be kept awake all night by the ponies trying to eat the tent but then, what the hell.

There is also another lake to the south (whose name escapes me for the moment) but that is a far more organised place, cafes, boating etc and the views aren't so uninterrupted, but I mention it in passing.

Is that you dog Mike? Looks a beaut!! Here are my two (Tess the black one and Kenny black and white from a painting I have had done of them)

post-21806-0-75329100-1339322045_thumb.j

I've been to Caradon Hill (The Minions) a couple times and it is good up there but any breeze and your scope is wobbling all over the place!

Although it is good the skyglow of Plymouth and Liskeard is pretty bright so yep still a good site but I'm on a mission to find at least mag 6 skies within an hour from home for those special winter nights. :)

My avatar pic is of me stood on top of The Minions and the one below is Caradon hill.

At Caradon Hill nr Liskeard

Thats Charlie my Labradoodle, she gave me a scare yesterday by managing to eat some rat poison at my sister in laws. An hour later and £160 lighter in the pocket and we were leaving the vets, no harm done but it still shook me up a bit, you know what its like 'mans best friend'.

Two very happy looking dogs in that painting Richard, I thought it was a photo when I first looked at it!

Blimey I bet that was a shock for you and your missus with Charlie eating the poison. That's the trouble with the vets, it is never cheap, but you never think about that do you? I have got mine both insured through Tesco Pet insurance and that has been a boon in the past. Have to pay the 1st £70 but getting the rest back at least helps. That is the trouble with greyhounds, they have been bred to be athletes and like human athletes they tend to injure themselves a lot. Kenny is forever limping as he is getting on now at about 7 years of age, whereas Tess is just 4, but when she runs he feels duty bound to have to beat her, but she is smaller and more nimble so he tends to pull muscles/tendons when he tries to turn too quickly. Anyway, hope Charlie has no ill effects and give her a pat for me.

I understand what you mean about the skyglow from Liskeard/Plymouth, but wasn't sure how much there would be, as I assumed Caradon Hill would be in the foreground. Colliford on the other hand is only near villages and I guess Bodmin must be a good ten miles away and Newquay even further although Wadebridge isn't too far as the crow flies. Will have to get up there on a clear night and see what is what. If I get there first I will keep you posted. I long for the night skies of my youth when it was so dark that you couldn't literally see your hand in front of your face. Doubt I will see them again unless I head for the Mid West of the USA (unlikely :embarassed: :embarassed:!!)

It was a shock but she's absolutely fine now which is all that matters but she's restricted to light walks on the lead and Vitamin K tablets for 3 weeks.

We've always used PetPlan which has saved us a fortune over the years, I can't understand people not having pet insurance for dogs as mine seems to be a regular down the vets!

Its funny but I have a couple places closer to Plymouth which I prefer to Caradon Hill! Its good up there, you can clearly see the Milky Way but the skyglow covers 180' all the way from Tavistock to Liskeard and I think that sky glow really affects your eyes adapting to the dark.

I know I shouldn't say it but roll on Autumn. :)

Hi, I think the lesser lake you mean is Siblyback Lake. I cycle there with my daughter quite regularly. The views from the car park are limited from N to SE by a Tor (the name escapes me) and trees which are within 30 feet. Caradon Hill is only a couple of miles away and a much better site.

I do like the sound of Colliford though. If you're planning an all-nighter and would like some company I'd be up for it.

Not sure why but my earlier comments have been deleted...

I was signed in as guest but have an account now, not sure if that will make a difference?

Nigel

nigel@corbenic.co.uk

It was a glitch with permissions that should'nt of let you post as a Guest , sorted now but you will have to repost im afraid.

Welcome to SGL btw :)

Not sure why but my earlier comments have been deleted...

I was signed in as guest but have an account now, not sure if that will make a difference?

Nigel

nigel@corbenic.co.uk

Yes saw your original post and replied but you may now have to make your point again to get it seen I'm afraid.

If there is enough interest I could probably arrange for a group to camp on my land which is at the North end of the Lake, about a mile from the A30.

We have managed camping here before (for 650 people) so a few tents and some telescopes shouldn't be a major issue.

Let me know if you are interested.

BR

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Matt and welcome to the Devon and Cornwall Group forum, good to have you along. Feel free to air your views here either in existing threads or by starting a new one. The more 'conversations' we get going on here the better it will be and the more prople we will attract to our bit of the forum.

Hi I would like to register my interest in Nigel's kind offer, not keen on using public places at night due to security issues you never what unwanted attention you might attract

gordon

I'd be great to join you...... I'm just up the road (Lanson) !!

It would be nice to meet up and share (as a greenhorn I've got a lot to learn)

Maybe in december when the weathers better, eh....

hi all

I shall be passing the lake/area early hours over the next few days and would be happy to have a look to see what it has to offer, doubt i will have my telescope with me but can give a general feel to it

hi all

I shall be passing the lake/area early hours over the next few days and would be happy to have a look to see what it has to offer, doubt i will have my telescope with me but can give a general feel to it

The lake area is great Matt with plenty of places to set up (animals excepted), the main trouble will be if you want to stay overnight as no camping is allowed. See Nigels post (above) which seems to make good sense for those who want to make a night of it.

The lake area is great Matt with plenty of places to set up (animals excepted), the main trouble will be if you want to stay overnight as no camping is allowed. See Nigels post (above) which seems to make good sense for those who want to make a night of it.

Whoops should have consider the fact some might want to camp, me i shall just turn up and head back home when you guys have finished.

• 1 month later...

Archived