Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Hi to the West Midlands

Dazzyd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve and welcome. Yes I'm up for a meetup, had a taste of much darker sky last night and I want more! SO gorgeous and made me realise just how bad the LP is here.

That would be great! And with the darker nights on their way they don't have to be till silly o clock in the morning either. As you say, we just need the clear skies now :D

Hi all, where are the rest of the Wolves& Black Country thread members , should we make ourselvs into a group or join the west mids one just so we all dont have to follow too many threads/groups

Also Steve_Bham will an increase in observers cause any problems at Cosford site, please PM me to discuss

Ta

Hi To All in the West Mids group - not been on for a while and noticed the new group - thanks to Daz for setting up, I think the West Mids is such a large area, but we all have 1 thing in common Light Pollution - I've always observed from the garden - so i've never even seen the Milky Way, from the garden maybe a very slight "hint" of it when at the Zenith in Cygnus and not having a car I can't travel to a dark site with the scope (only have a motorbike) but would be willing to meet up wherever and whenever a meet can be arranged with all you like minded people who enjoy this hobby as much as I do - Cheers all and clear skies (NOT) at the mo - Paul.

I know a few ppl moving scopes around by bike now :grin: ill be one of them soon.

Hi all, where are the rest of the Wolves& Black Country thread members , should we make ourselvs into a group or join the west mids one just so we all dont have to follow too many threads/groups

Also Steve_Bham will an increase in observers cause any problems at Cosford site, please PM me to discuss

Ta

Pmd :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people. This all sound interesting. I'm in South, Birmingham with limited views from the garden. I'd like to get out to places like Clent or the Lickeys but don't any being up there on my own with a load of kit.

I was up Barr Beacon for the Walsall Council/Walsall Astro Perseids last night. Not a member but on their mailing list. Was quite a good evening. Very few meteors but a cracking lengthy bright overhead ISS pass. It wasn't worth getting the scope out the car although it was clearing by about 23:30. By that time tree were only three of us. Hi to SteveWolves who was one. Enjoyed our natter and as we were walking off all three of us saw the same meteor streak across to the west. A nice reward for sticking it out. All three of us called "there's one" simultaneously.

Up for some other meets with dark sky so I'll keep an eye around here.

If I'd have realised you guys were staying up there I'd have stayed myself. I rushed back from Wiltshire hoping to catch the last hour (thinking it was 10-12 as the Walsall AS email said) and everyone was going when I got there at 11:05. Damn :(

Hi to everyone who made it up to Barr Beacon this weekend for the Perseids - I'm glad we toughed it out in spite of the extensive cloud early on - That ISS pass was worth the wait - and several people saw meteors (not me though!)... still, there's something to be said for lying on a hilltop in the middle of the night, staring at the stars, even if there were no meteors, the atmosphere was brilliant. We're back up there again in October for the Orionids on the 20th, followed by 17th November for Leonids and 14th December for Geminids - All these sessions are 9pm - 11pm. I open the memorial car park entrance around 8.45pm (this is the entrance on the corner of Bridle Lane and Beacon Road).

We had over 60 people up there for the Lyrids and 50 this weekend for the Perseids - just hoping we can keep up the numbers through the winter!

• 9 months later...

Hello all from Dean in Whittington near Lichfield.

Reading the posts so far I see no one else in the Lichfield area. Did I miss anyone...?

Would also be interested to hear from those in the know of good dark sites close to me.

I do hope to hook up with the Rosliston group in time as they're only a short drive up the A38 from me.

All the best,

Dean

• 1 year later...

Hi Everybody,

I'd be interested in joining a small group to do some remote observing. I have a very good telescope & equipment which could be made available but I'm only home in the Midlands at the weekends as I work away in the week. If your near Solihull/Coleshill you can always come & visit as I have a Celestron C11 Edge on a Paramount MX+ mount with all the usual trappings like Hyperstar & CCD cameras.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, good to know there's others around, I am in Shirley just on the border of west MIDs and Worcester. Recently upgraded my 5inch to an 8inch and keen to show it a real dark site! Just showing my interest so as we might start to organise some autumn meets.

Archived