West Midlands

Hi to the West Midlands

Dazzyd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, it's all the same chunk of land in the middle eh :D

That dip on the West Mids border edge :):lol:

Would be good to have an observing site betwwwn Brum & Cov - there must be somewhere ..............

There's got to be somewhere! Time to start looking at the lp maps and google maps and street to see. I think finding somewhere without too much lp is easy, it's finding somewhere that's safe and where you won't be disturbed by the boy racers and dog lovers that's the hard part.

Over the next couple of months while we still have the light nights I'd like to get a list sorted for us all of sites we can use so hopefully everyone in the West Mids on here can have somewhere they can go and where we can sort out some group meets. Try and get the viewing spots stretching from Coventry to Brum to Wolves and then some spots over in Shropshire like Clee and places like that out in the sticks where the skies should be much darker and clearer.

Not ideal having to travel too far but I think once a month to a dark site and possibly meet with others could be a nice social and viewing thing :D

Daz - that would be brilliant !!

I've recently been looking over east / west Cov & there is nothing, that i'd consider safe or places where you don't have to trek with kit. There is a sports/social club, just down the road, which has huge fields sourrounded by trees & no lighting, even though within Coventry it is dark. But each person has to join the social club for £25 per year !!

I wouldn't mind travelling a bit, for the right location, but would love a place with facilities (& maybe even power) .........

I think it may be worth looking at camp sites and things like that and seeing if we can get deals from the owners about powers etc. Their busy season is the summer whereas our is the winter, may be able to sort something out with em :)

Hi,

Im from Upper Gornal, Dudley, Id love to be part of the group, not sure how many event sI could attend due to my better half not being well at the moment but I look after a few peoples oil fired heating systems around Halfpenny Green Airport (wolverhampton Business Airport) and they have said that It would be ok to use their fields for astronomy, As of yet I havent taken them up on their offer and am unsure wether theyd let lots of people attend, but Id be willing to ask whe they get back from the villa they own in the canaries. should be late september. Compared to Dudley and Sedgley the LP is minimal.

Kev.

Hi To All in the West Mids group - not been on for a while and noticed the new group - thanks to Daz for setting up, I think the West Mids is such a large area, but we all have 1 thing in common Light Pollution - I've always observed from the garden - so i've never even seen the Milky Way, from the garden maybe a very slight "hint" of it when at the Zenith in Cygnus and not having a car I can't travel to a dark site with the scope (only have a motorbike) but would be willing to meet up wherever and whenever a meet can be arranged with all you like minded people who enjoy this hobby as much as I do - Cheers all and clear skies (NOT) at the mo - Paul.

Hi,

Im from Upper Gornal, Dudley, Id love to be part of the group, not sure how many event sI could attend due to my better half not being well at the moment but I look after a few peoples oil fired heating systems around Halfpenny Green Airport (wolverhampton Business Airport) and they have said that It would be ok to use their fields for astronomy, As of yet I havent taken them up on their offer and am unsure wether theyd let lots of people attend, but Id be willing to ask whe they get back from the villa they own in the canaries. should be late september. Compared to Dudley and Sedgley the LP is minimal.

Kev.

Kev that would be superb! We hold our prom (I work in a secondary school) at Blakelands each year which is right at the end of the airport runway and the skies are so so much darker than observing from my back garden in Netherton! Fingers crossed they won't object to having around 2-6 people (on average) using their field, we're all a lovely bunch and the main thing is we would be very respectful to their land.

Thanks matey, looks like things are starting to come together for the West Mids group eh :D

Kev that would be superb! We hold our prom (I work in a secondary school) at Blakelands each year which is right at the end of the airport runway and the skies are so so much darker than observing from my back garden in Netherton! Fingers crossed they won't object to having around 2-6 people (on average) using their field, we're all a lovely bunch and the main thing is we would be very respectful to their land.

Thanks matey, looks like things are starting to come together for the West Mids group eh :D

Blakelands is definately darker but the beer isnt as good as Ma Pardoes.

Kev.

Actually Kev if you can't get that place I'm wondering it it's worth me approaching Blakelands and seeing if we can use their field out by their bandstand thing by the pool. It had decently wide views and it would be pretty dark there. Can't hurt anything to ask can it :)

Yeah Blakelands sounds good got to be darker than where we observe from now, I've wondered what the skies would be like out that way when passing on my push bike - seems to be very few lights, but never been out there at night, wonder if there would be any airport traffic at night. Paul

Whenever I do the prom there the airport traffic has usually finished by around 7 ish. I'll pop over there sometime after work in the week and ask. I'll find out when the usual receptionist is on there so I can have a chat with her. As you say, it's got to be darker than where we are now LOL

It's right next to Halfpenny Green Airport, Bobbington on the Six Ashes Road. It's not far from Highgate Common. The official name is Blakelands Country House, have a look on Google Maps :)

I'd be happy to find any site that isn't my back garden! Believe me, living right on top of a dual-carraigeway which wipes out the southern skies is no fun at all. However, not being able to drive limits where I can go, as an Evostar 120 + mount are not easy to manage on a bus :embarrassed:

I'd be happy to find any site that isn't my back garden! Believe me, living right on top of a dual-carraigeway which wipes out the southern skies is no fun at all. However, not being able to drive limits where I can go, as an Evostar 120 + mount are not easy to manage on a bus :embarrassed:

Hi JP.

Well i'm in the same boat,or should that be bus as you :smiley: as i had to pack up driving about ten years ago and its been a right PITA. :embarrassed:

Hi all I go to the Wolves & BC meets when they occur and to Cannock Chase and have looked arround for sites for many years.

The Cosford site we use is a bit far away (thats because I have never found a dark enough site any nearer than that) but dark and pretty light pollution free, bearing in mind Shifnal & Telford.

I,m pretty sure the Wolves & BC thread menbers would be glad to join in , more the merrier! and more people will be searching for sites so a better chance of finding somewhere. I would suggest that anyone who knows someone that owns land should think about it as a potential site, and then discuss it on here.

I havn't been on here recently but I run the Perton Library Astronomy Group in the village of Perton just to the west of Wolverhampton & am a Wolves A.S. member and the Cannock Civic Observatories Group

Hi Steve I was hoping you'd jump in :) Looking forward to viewing from the site (Cosford is around 18 miles from me) and yes, I'm sure all together we will be able to get some good sites giving us a selection around the West Mids. I'll have to try and get over to a Perton Library night and a Wolves AS night when they start again :D

• 1 month later...

Can i ask why this West Midland group was started when there is already a well established Wolves and Black Country group that seems to have covererd what we are doing on this group??

Why wasn't/isn't the W&BC group in this section of the forum :icon_scratch:

I think the "West Mids" group covers a geographical area that is quite large and travel is problematic for some. The observing site at Cosford is probably 6 mile from me in Wolverhampton where as the Coleshill site is 5 times as far for me.

The W&BC thread in Astro events just developed like that, but too far away and a site will not get many members coming.

Both Fri 27th & Sat 28th forcast looks good & I will go to Cosford tonight.

I requested the West Mids group because the Wolves and Black Country thread was 1) Very specific area and 2) Was a thread rather than a group with multiple threads covering multiple topics. I also thought it was needed, there seems to be groups for East Mids, north, south east and west of the West Mids but nothing for here.

Don't get me wrong, the W&BC thread is great for me because it's my area but I was thinking of everyone else in the West Mids who maybe hadn't got a place the chat, arrange meets local to them etc :D

Archived