SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Hi to the West Midlands

Dazzyd

Hi all

Thought we ought to get a West Midlands group started so we can catch up, arrange meets, update on events and any interesting astro group news (Wolves, Walsall etc).

I know there's a Wolvo thread but it may be good to collate stuff for around here.

Muchly thankings :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dazzy, I'm in stourbridge. Can I join?

Geoff

Anyone can join Geoff, it's a social group where we could possibly arrange meetups, discuss any local events, suggest possible viewing sites (without any caniners) etc.

I think the meetups could start in 3-4 months ish when the nights are sufficiently darker.

Maybe let others know about any events organised by local astro groups and things like that :D

Would Shropshire (Telford, Wellington etc) be considered as the West Midlands as well?

Yes sounds good to me Cath. Telford is only 25-30 miles away from me and probably less for others on here. You have the Wrekin over there haven't you Cath? Is it good viewing there and boy-racer-free?

Hopefully we can arrange a big meetup later in the year when it gets much darker :D

Yes I got chatting to the guys when I first joined here a month or two ago but they seemed to have gone a little quiet. It may be because we're not getting good dark skies this time of year so maybe they'll fire back up in 2 or 3 months, hope so.

I asked for a West Midlands section so we can all have a dedicated area on SGL for us to chat, arrange meets etc. Hopefully the Wolves guys will start using here too.

I think there's a few people from Brum, Dudley, Stourbridge, Wolves, Walsall area so fingers crossed.

Have you been to the Walsall Astro Club? Went last week and they seem a lovely bunch of people. They meet every Thursday :)

Have you been to the Walsall Astro Club? Went last week and they seem a lovely bunch of people. They meet every Thursday :)

In short no although I know of them. I have attended a couple of meteor watch events run by the local senior countryside ranger (hope I got her title right!) and one time they had a representative from Walsall astro society, although I must admit to only over hearing part of a convo (chinese whispers and all that) I got the gist that the room they use for meetings was packed out and that they were as such 'full' and "were not seeking new members". Basically he was really trying his best to put the chap he was speaking to off going, personally this put me off a lot and a few other comments made really smacked of snobbery so gave it a wide birth. Something less formal and more sociable like a meet or event/ general stargazing with like minded people from here would suit me much better I think.

I know what you mean. I only had 2 or 3 people come and speak to me but to be fair they seemed really nice people. On the transit event though they seemed a little seperated with only a few like Morgan (the senior ranger) talking to people from the general public who went to the event too. I think you'll get that with pretty much any established club. It would have been nice though if maybe the chairman, when doing his speech, to have said welcome. A couple said "see you next time" but that was it.

Yes I'm the sort of person too who prefers something like an arranged meet with people from here, everyone on here seems much more friendly and I prefer that sort of social feel where we can get a good night viewing in, give each other tips and help and have a bit of a laugh too.

Actually I've just had a look at Worfield on Google maps and it's only 15 miles away for me and there seems to be a sporting place (well it seems to have tenis courts and a huge open field) which could be very good to set up. Just can't see a name of the place on Google street view :(<--- This bit should have been in the other west mids thread LOL...... oops :)

I'm exiled in south Birmingham (Kings Heath shortly to be Kings Norton) and have always struggled for dark skies. I'd certainly be interested in a meet up later in the year if something is arranged. I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest.

You have the Wrekin over there haven't you Cath? Is it good viewing there and boy-racer-free?

I've never taken a scope up the Wrekin, it's hard enough just walking up there lol, it's 1300 feet at the top. You can only take your car to the bottom of it where there is a car park.

It would probably be better to go further away from town anyway.

Ahhh, I was hoping there was a way to get the car up closer to the top. The OTA would be easy enough but not dragging the mount up there LOL. Is there anywhere else over there that's worth the trip to observe from? I'd like to get a number of places sorted over the next 3 ish months so we can all start using them when we get the dark nights back :D

For me I pretty much have no choice but to travel somewhere to get away from the LP although if I can keep below my back fence to sheild me from a street light I can see a fair few stars here even though bins. SO want to get to a good dark site and location though :)

I know what you mean. I only had 2 or 3 people come and speak to me but to be fair they seemed really nice people. On the transit event though they seemed a little seperated with only a few like Morgan (the senior ranger) talking to people from the general public who went to the event too.

Yeah I found Morgan to be very approachable and she has gone out of her way to organise public events even when the weather has not played ball + you gotta be nice she has an account on here! :police::grin: I dont know what you may think of using the Cannock Chase? there must be some pretty good spots up there and some of the higher ground is reasonably accessible and as far as I know being forestry commision property the majority should be freely accessible, may have a night down there myself when that rarest of events - a clear night occurs!

Yeah Morgan is great, I like her and her other half, they're both really lovely, got a lot of time for them both :) I think the Walsall group needs a few more visits, I have a feeling they are like any other group, Astro or not, they see people visit and don't return, maybe they just need a few visits. The people who did chat were quite lovely so I'll see.

I think Morgan has tried Cannock Chase, depends where you go there, you can be around the canines or you may get blinded by passing cars. Been a long time since I was on the chase so I wouldn't know the best place to go. Maybe a bit of Google mappings will be useful :)

Hi John. Yeah I thought it was lacking somewhere for us so asked and the admins were great :D

Hopefully this will become a nice section for chat about local events, meets etc. I reckon there's enough of us to sort something out :)

It would be great if we could find a half-decent dark site that isn't miles and miles away. I live right by a dual carraigeway, and my southern skies are obscured by several streetlights so other than planetary viewing I don't get to see a lot!

If we all club together I'm sure we can come up with a handful or two of sites we could use. We've got about 2-3 months before we get dark nights at a reasonable time so plenty of time. I'm sure we can sort something out that's no more than 20 mins ish away :D

At some point I want to get my scope down Wiltshire, got loads of friends down there and the skies are so clear and beautiful. Bit of a jount at around 100 miles though LOL. There's maybe places like Clee Hill which isn't TOO far to drive if you know it's definitely going to be clear all through the night and maybe out into the countryside below Telford (as you're looking on the map). It's just finding those places that are quiet as well as good viewing spots.

Hello Everyone,

I would be interested in an informal group who could arrange to meet when the weather is good.

I have used various sites in and around Birmingham, with varying degrees of success. The monument car park at the Lickeys has reasonable views, but as it only has one vehicle entrance I don't feel comfortable going there on my own. This car park, and those around Clent, are popular with the kennel club. I have also attracted the attention of the police when looking for sites in this area. There are a few good spots in Sutton Park, but you will need to park outside and walk in. This is not too much of a problem for me as my setup does fit into a bag that I can just carry, but Dob owners might find it difficult. I do a lot of mountain biking on Cannock Chase, so I can imagine a few good sites there, but again the best ones would involve parking and walking if only to get a bit of privacy and to get away from the kennel club.

I currently use a couple of sites on public roads, one near Alvechurch and the other near Coleshill. They are fairly quiet and there is not too much traffic, but again I don't really feel comfortable when out on my own. Not that I have had any trouble, just a few rather bemused people walking or driving by in the middle of the night, wondering what I was doing there.

I did go, with another SGL member, to see a farm out past Solihull. The site was good, I felt safe and it was shielded from the road. The farmer will want to run this as a commercial venture and suggested £5 per person per night as a fee. Maybe something worth thining about when the longer, darker nights return.

I have joined Birmingham Astro Soc. They have a site on the roof of Aston University. It is farly small and the view West facing only, but it is above the streetlights and is only 10 minutes from home. This could come in handy from August onwards, when it will start getting dark during the time it is accessible.

Anyhow, I definitely feel safer with a few like-mided people around, and it's always good to see what other people are looking at, so next time the weather looks good I will be out and would be happy to have company.

Hello everyone.

I would just like to add my support for the WMs group,and will hopefully partake in the discussions on here.

I am new to all this but seem to be getting more and more involved with it all,and finally bought my first telescope yesterday.

I have been out a couple of times now gazing with another forum member,PorkyB and have really enjoyed going out with some one who is more experienced and knows whats what,it really does help.

I have sent DD the farm site details via PM,so if that site was suitable perhaps we could have a meet up there one night??

Hi all,

I live in Cannock which I was starting to think was the back of beyond as nobody else seems to live near me. I'd be happy to be apart of the group.

I'm pretty new to astronomy having only started in Feb/Mar.

I do have a dark site but I'm not sure whether or not I could share it as it is on MOD Property, however, as I actually work there it may be something that I will get permission for. I can always make an enquiry when the dark nights arrive.

Cannock Chase does hold possibilities but it would need a good recce to find the best, most suitable site.....something which I can do if this becomes an option.

I want to get into Astro-photography. I have dabbled with this but need better equipment first. What I have is ok but limited.

Look forward to being involved.

I think there's a few people from Brum, Dudley, Stourbridge, Wolves, Walsall area so fingers crossed.

Umm - Coventry (cough, cough), we maybe on the edge, but still the West Midlands ;)

Archived