SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Takes a seat

notaclue

Name: Will

Location: Wakefield. Well south Wakefield. Just off that busy road that takes you away from the city.

Hobbies: Ham radio, Astronomy and martial arts. But not in that order.

How did I get here: Mild insanity and Google. Looking through the site made me join up.

At the moment I am saving up for a Newtonian telescope. Saw one yesterday that made me think I best stop larking about and get one. It will stop the procrastinating. Got a Meade 10x50 binoculars that is good enough for me so far.

Was a member of the Observatory in Pontefract in 1995-6 time when Halle Bopp came over. Met some decent people with a good interest there.

Anything else, just prod me with a stick and I will answer.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forums! Bino's are a good start but contrary to most advice you get on here no substitute to a nice dob... ok sorry Binos are fab and Meade binos even better (Meade fan)

Do you have a newt in mind?

Thinking Celestron for money. Between a 6 - 8" scope. Saw one yesterday at the Green Witch store so off I go saving money. A Meade telescope is way out of my price range even if I want a 20" LX400ACF in my garden with dome and a endless supply of hot tea.

I bought the binos from Lidl for £10 some years ago. Best thing is they are better than most of the other binos I have used and no reduction in image over the IR/UV being out of focus.

The Lidl binos are far better than you would think and celestrons people swear by, my Meade fascination is strange but I put it down to getting them all cheap on ebay :) I dont think they are better than the celestrons optically or electronically, arguably worse.

Hello Will and welcome to the SGL.

I did the same and when I went through the site here, I was hooked at all the members and their devotion to the hobby. Hope you get the kit you want and when you do, give us a first light report.

KB1LHE

Well Thanks for the welcome. I took this picture when the moon was in earthshine with Venus in the tree some time back before we got weather and made the hobby boring for a while.

DSCF2042.jpg

Taken by a Fujifilm Finepix camera on auto.

Hi and welcome from de m3xli ,do you use he or 2m enjoy Sgl

Pat

At the moment I use 2m. Prefer 80 when open. I am in the GB3YW repeater area. Next time you can get in call me through that one. Call is 2E0WHN.

Archived