Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weather prediction.

FarSide

Hello guys,

With the horrible British weather as of late, and with my excitment to get out with my new 10 inch reflector i have been contantly looking at the met office website for reliable weather predictions. However, these predictions so far have been so off of the mark that it's been almost hard to keep up. Thankfully tonight (atleast in the south) it's going to be a clearish night so i was wondering if anyone had any online websites or programmes that have a good reliability level with weather?

The met office seems to have differing predictions on differing programs and apps and websites!

Problem is you are expecting an accurate forecast for your bit of Reading. The forecast will be for Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Wiltshire, London and Bucks. :Envy: :Envy:

The weather you want is probably somewhere in that lot, just not over your bit of Reading. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reliable local weather: A window. :cheesy: :cheesy:

The sat24 website is a good place to look. You can see how the clouds have been moving around over Europe or just the UK for the last couple of hours and make a fairly good judgement for your location from that.

James

Another vote for Sat 24. I don't take much notice of any of the others, too inaccurate. Or just look out of the window!

The benefit of Sat 24 is that you can really see what is coming your way, and roughly how fast. If it's clear then you'll be able to tell if there's a lump of cloud heading over, or vice versa.

Stu

I have learnt with the British weather to pretty much never trust anything. The sat 24 website is the best you can hope for because you can come to your own conclusions - the bbc website is pretty naff. If the bbc says cloud it's going to be cloudy, if it says clear there's really a 99% chance of cloud :(

The Metoffice is saying clear here for 2200 and 0100 but it's currently clearish with some fast moving clouds. Sat24 on the other hand, seems to suggest that the clear spell will soon come to and end!

Besides, it's still far too windy for meto start setting up... :(

I find the "meteoblue" site has the best locality-specific weather forecasts. The "sky" option carries cloud,seeing, humidity, and other information at three hour intervals.

British weather being as it is however means that no forecast will ever be one hundred per cent accurate as our situation guaranteees multiple small tight area patterns which can alter quickly and change direction without warning.

Having looked at all the forecasts last night, it did turn out to be clear here until at least midnight and I wish I'd gone out now :( Had I not been at work all day I probably would have, despite the seeing ratings being average to poor from Meteoblue and Accuweather. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D

Enjoy your new scope - I'll be looking upwards from Reading tonight as well.

A couple I've been using - sometimes they even agree with each other !!

http://www.theweathe...ding&selected=4

Hi. I'm the TWO site owner, and a member here because I'm also a keen amateur astronomer. As a result I don't like to spam my site on here, but if you or anyone else has questions about the weather/TheWeatherOutlook site please feel free to ask. In general terms the outlook is pretty mediocre for astronomy, although at this time of the year I rarely bother setting up my scope regardless of the weather because the nights are so short.

Thank you for all the suggestions, guys it has been a real help. It was a good night last night and we managed to experiment with the new Dob; sighting the great glob cluster in Herc as i've never seen it before. Fast moving clouds spoiled the night but i'll get back out there soon. Say, Jim message me in what part of Reading you are in, we have a small group that meets up quite often. You are welcome to join us!.

Archived