Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to do with my old and small telescope?

I have recently bought a 12" dobsonian reflector telescope. It's great, and now I wonder what to do with my old Konus Motormax 90 telescope. it's a Maksutov-Cassegrain on a wiggly equatorial mount. It's been standing there tucked away ever since I bought the new one and frankly speaking I don't see myself using it again. Sure, it's easier to bring outside with shorter cooling time and all, but I would just stand there wondering how much better the view would be with the new one.

So, if I sell it I won't get much for it. The second hand market here is flooded with small aperture reflectors. Can I attach it to my dob somehow, and would that make any sense at all? I already have a finder scope so what good would it do?

Any tips on what to do with it is appreciated.

I think you may be surprised on how much you would get for it secondhand, the new price is around the £220.00 mark.

As you say there is not much sense in attaching it to your dob so here is what I would do.

Mount it on a good camera tripod, fit a full aperture Baader white light filter and use it as a Solar Scope.

It would be ideal for this and with the addition of a 45 degree prism you could also use it for terrestrial use during the day.

Small scopes are always handy for when on holiday so I would say keep it and us it for the above.

Paul

Not sure about your old scope, although donating to a local astronomy society sounds like a great idea. What I really want to know is what you think of your fantastic new 12" Dob when you get it going. It's a front runner for my next scope so would be great to hear first hand of it's capabilities.....

Some bird watcher maybe interested, a cousin of mine uses a C90 mak for this and loves it so maybe try those forums or make 50 posts and sell it on here in the classifieds. It might be handy mounted on and alt/az mount for the times when dragging out the dob is not worth it due to clouds or weather changing.

Not sure about your old scope, although donating to a local astronomy society sounds like a great idea. What I really want to know is what you think of your fantastic new 12" Dob when you get it going. It's a front runner for my next scope so would be great to hear first hand of it's capabilities.....

It is a GSO 300 Deluxe. I only bought it last November and since then I had my first child, so not a lot of opportunities to really test it out so far. Now in the summer the sky is bright all through the night. But what I have seen so far is great. I have mostly looked at the moon, Jupiter, Andromeda galaxy and some star clusters. I still haven't had the opportunity to see Saturn and Orion nebula for instance. I find that the biggest limitations so far has really been turbulent sky conditions, and the Swedish mid winter freeze of course. Handling is not too bad. I can easily take it apart and carry the base and tube separately, although I have been thinking of attaching a wheel and handles so that I can roll it out in one piece, like a wheel barrel.

It is a GSO 300 Deluxe. I only bought it last November and since then I had my first child, so not a lot of opportunities to really test it out so far. Now in the summer the sky is bright all through the night. But what I have seen so far is great. I have mostly looked at the moon, Jupiter, Andromeda galaxy and some star clusters. I still haven't had the opportunity to see Saturn and Orion nebula for instance. I find that the biggest limitations so far has really been turbulent sky conditions, and the Swedish mid winter freeze of course. Handling is not too bad. I can easily take it apart and carry the base and tube separately, although I have been thinking of attaching a wheel and handles so that I can roll it out in one piece, like a wheel barrel.

Congratulations on your first child!! Keep us updated on how you find the 300 Deluxe and what you make of your first Saturn view!

Congrats on your first child from me too! These little maks make ideal travel scopes (easily fit in the carry-on luggage in planes). I would have liked one when I traveled down-under. Also good spotting scopes and solar scopes. Who knows, one day you can entrust it to the little guy or girl (I built a little 4.5" dob for the kids, which keeps my C8 safe for now ;) )

Congrats on your first child from me too! These little maks make ideal travel scopes (easily fit in the carry-on luggage in planes). I would have liked one when I traveled down-under. Also good spotting scopes and solar scopes. Who knows, one day you can entrust it to the little guy or girl (I built a little 4.5" dob for the kids, which keeps my C8 safe for now ;) )

More good suggestions. I think I'll keep it, at least for a while, and buy some solar film and a 45 degree prism.

Archived