Narrowband

The Fund Has Started.....

Ponoobersie

Not a very interesting post but thought id share it anyway.

So I had asked I think a couple of times now (oops) on which set up I should get as my first set up and I have taken on board everything you lovely guys have suggested :grin:

But......I have now decided to start up a fund for my self and save!! I did have a small budget before but that got eaten, chewed and swallowed up by the lovely heavy envelopes that hit my door mat from time to time.... :mad:

So today I found out we have a little bonus from work :grin: so all of this will be put away and built on, im going to aim for around the £1000 mark, it might take me a fair few months to do it but it will be worth it when I get a nice new shinny scope for my efforts! :grin:

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's better to save and get the scope you want,these late nights are a waste of time any way so you not missing much,,so if you save for a couple a months the late night Si,ll soon roll in

Pat

Alternatively get a new credit card do a zero percent balance transfer from your main card and pay back over 12 months usually costs about 3% so £30. Just a thought and not for everyone I know....late nights are a pain at the moment so savings not such a bad idea either.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Alternatively get a new credit card do a zero percent balance transfer from your main card and pay back over 12 months usually costs about 3% so £30. Just a thought and not for everyone I know....late nights are a pain at the moment so savings not such a bad idea either.

Yes this is a good idea...but I have already done this for other things and we are in the process of paying it off so I dont fancy bumping it up any more ;) as we have all the payments planned so we dont pay any more % on it :grin:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys :grin: and I sure will appreciate it more no doubt!

Nice. You can get nice kit selection for a grand. I'd recommend investing most of it in the right scope. You can add eyepieces later. Take your time and buy second hand. If you ever think it's all too expensive then go look up the prices of quality SLR lenses ;)

What set up did you decide upon? I am in a similar position to yourself and would be very interested in your choice.

Regards

Bob

I'm with Bob here..... What set up have you decided to save for??????

Details lol :)

I am hoping fingers crossed.....for a SkyWatcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube :grin:

I had asked the great guys on here for advise on that very same question and the resounding response was the Dob so I thought well I could go for a 200P...but if im going to save then I might as well go one up! hehe :p

Good Idea........I got a bonus from work recently and were all excited and talking in the office on what we would buy with our money. I said a new telescope and got all excited about it and started quoting focal lengths and aperture sizes they all just looked at me and laughed. They all took a bet when I was out the office that I would spend it on a new scope. LOL

good luck saving

but just remember to stay within your budget

i bought my first scope 2 weeks ago & have'nt stopped spending

its an awsome hobby but easy to get carried away & always want some little addon ect

:BangHead:

Nice apraoche mate, don't cripple yourselfe with debt for the hobby. it would ruin the enjoyment down the line, a grand it a good target, and will get you a good setup to get you well on the way.

cheers steve

I saved up for ages for my first scope which I still hav and use a 12" dob I worked on the thought echoed on Sgl ,if you want a 6" reflector ,get a 10" because upgrades are a bummer

Cheers at

Thanks guys :grin:

As for spending more, im one of them that if I dont have it I cant spend it, ie the c/card is for emergenies ONLY! haha

I will be looking to getting into some AP but that will be in time if the 1k budget wont stretch to that :grin:

Hell, you can do AP on a £135 scope with a £45 webcam, and a sky as orange as a shiny new 2p ;)

not easy, but you can ! :D

I'd suggest you choose a tube you like, and buy as much mount as you can afford if you want to do AP.

I've got my eye on the Explorer 150's, and a bonus to spend, but I'm taking it really really slowly (and hoping the Mrs doesnt notice ! ;) )

Haha Beattie, its the same here! if I start to talk anything star's or looking up...they are lost! haha Just a good job we have SGL hey :grin:

Hopefully a go-to Rory :grin:

Keep your eye out on the second hand front as your cash goes further. It didn't take long for me to find a FlexTube 300 Auto for £750 and add a second hand Synscan Handset for £120.

The difference will pay for some good collimation devices (which you WILL need) and some decent EPs to compliment/replace the standard ones.

If a 250 is as large as you want, then difference could buy some serious EPs.:)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A sensible approach. I am in the market for a more powerful scope, but with summer (and I use the term summer very loosely) fast approaching and the lack of usable dark nights (unless you are willing to stay up until midnight) I am waiting until mid to late August to get the thing. I have the funds to go and get it right now, but I am ressisting the urge. I know I will be able to get what I want, so that is enough for me right now. Of course if there is a price increase in the meantime then I would have to re-think it, but I haven't heard of any impending price increases.

Archived