Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Member From Bishops Stortford

willem_dafoe

Hello to all of you reading my post, and thank you too. I have recently aquired a telescope and would like to get to know any people local to me who might be able to show me a thing or two. I live in Bishops Stortford and would like to know of any sites nearby where I can get a good view of the skies. My garden is a bit restrictive and there are too many lights. I'd also like to be shown how to achieve a good polar alignment, as the net seems to be awash with numerous techniques. None of which appear to be easy to follow.

I have a SW 200pds and an EQ6 mount, and would like to use my Canon EOS for some astrophotography. If anyone has any advice which may help please get in touch.

I do like this forum, it's such an interesting hobby.

Liam

Hi and welcome to SGL and the group

Another thread in this sub-forum is entitled 'Wrest Park' which is the favoured meeting place for the group but I haven't been able to make any meets this year. Several members here (including myself) have joined other astro clubs and societies to gain access to observing sites, I'm a member of LDAS (see sig) and I also attend specific meetings with the Hertford Astronmy Group based in Welwyn GC.

HTH!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Liam, welcome to SGL. I sent you a PM re. possible local sites. I am soon moving to Bishops Stortford, and I will be exploring the area for sites that are passable for observing, please get in touch anyone else interested. clear skies ! Jon

Hi Liam, I live close to Bishops Stortford in Albury, I can't show you much as I've only had a scope about 6 weeks and about 5.5 of those weeks has been cloudy! I've got a heq5 pro with a c8 and will be going down the astro photography route when I know what I'm doing :)

Let's catch up some time, I have a lot to learn..

If you know of any decent sites, please let me know, there's bound to be some round here.

Matt

• 5 months later...

Think I have read about 4 or 5 in BS, slowly growing in number.

Used to drive round BS daily but cannot think of anywhere to observe, think some were looking at Hatfield Forest.

There may be places along the old 120 road that goes through Takley that could be used.

Not sure if there is a club at Dunmow, or again a collection of SGL people.

If it is SGL people then perhaps contact any and perhaps locate somewhere between the two if at all possible to meet up.

If there is a club there then drop in, the A120 makes it quick and easy now.

May be crazy but just South and again just South West of Dunmow are 2 rest areas off the A120. I think both are well lit up but may be worth checking if a gathering of BS and Dunow SGL people is organised.

Hi Matt and Callum, err biondi & moogoomonkey. Welcome to the seemingly growing number of B/S atronomers. So far I've just been preparing to observe at home. I'm new to the area and also keen to explore to the N and NE of Stortford where there is a zone of darker skies. This interactive map is useful if you have time to zoom in and explore dark zones. http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

I am familiar with Albury for daytime walks eg around the Hall. I think *local* light pollution will be favourable i.e. non-existent, but the location is somewhat close to the greater London skyglow for decent southern skies. I have observed from Berden and that is the situation there. The skyglow from greater London is quite apparent :>-( OK for brighter Messiers etc though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi chaps, does anyone want to get together one night? I'm still quite new at this and would love to chat about your experiences in setting up amongst other things. It seems to take me so long to get the scope (and everything that goes with it) outside, then perform the alignment (which I always manage to screw up first time) that I'm left with not much time before I need to start putting everything away again. I originally had hoped to get into AP but my first few attempts taking photos was a complete disaster :) I live near Albury, Herts (SG11) but would happily meet up somewhere near Bishops Stortford or Ware/Hertford etc..

cheers,

Matt

By the way guys... I don't know if you know Jobbers Wood? It's were the TBSHS sports fixtures are held. The physics department here are planning on getting an observatory set up in the near future. I think they might be game to set up an AS? I'll need to chat with my teachers a bit more and try and twist their ears into setting one up! I have a feeling I'll be at university before its all up and running though :(. This is just an idea at the moment though but hopefully it'll come to fruition

• 2 months later...

Hi, just found this thread, so thought I'd say hello. I'm also Stortford based, mainly garden based, but also have used ground by thorley church and out towards jobbers wood. We sometimes use a friends parents field, but a good, dark site would be worth finding.

Archived