Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did You See The Venus Transit?

DrRobin

I was very unsure but did set the alarm just in case. When the alarm went off at 0430 and looked out the window, I very nearly went back to bed. The optimist in me packed the PST in the car and me & the Wife went to Kenley Aerodrome in Surrey.

We met a few other optimists there and the scope was set up for sunrise at 0446 but it was an hour later before the clouds parted just enough to see the transit. The clouds stayed away just enough for some observing and a very hasty a-focal photo.

We were very lucky for sure!!

7160455797_13d1172b12.jpg

The end of the transit of Venus by MrLeebert, on Flickr

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the Chicago burbs, so I'm not on the map. I did get a bunch of pictures of the Transit. Sorry that they are not organized at all. I just uploaded them to my Website. I'm a newbie, but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I also enjoyed spending time with the Family while photographing the event. Here they are...

http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=78

I saw it from Santorini, Greece.

The place isn't listed on google maps but if you look it's the next hotel up the road north from "Santorini Princess Spas", 3rd swimming pool. :D

Hi,

Online map updated, thanks to everyone who has sent in reports.

That is a stunning image Pibbles, I would have loved to have seen the full sequence if the clouds cleared earlier for you. Which scope, camera and filter did you use?

Thanks Robin:)

I have a thread with a few of the better images I got here.....

I did get the Sunrise it just clouded over for the last 25 minutes as the sun got higher. I did catch the end though.

They were all taken with just my Canon 450D and a 75-300mm lens at 300mm, no filters used for the Sunrise and baader film used for the higher up white light one.

Saw it from Blackheath, London. Only cloud-covered glimpses before 3rd contact, but a reasonable minute or so afterwards:

7161153181_3ccd6f241a_c.jpg

Can I ask what type of filter you used (besides Baader) to get the resolution of the surface like that? The surface of the Sun just looks flat and white in my images... http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3106#top_display_media I would love to get that much resolution in my images. Thanks.

Can I ask what type of filter you used (besides Baader) to get the resolution of the surface like that? The surface of the Sun just looks flat and white in my images... http://gordongreene....p_display_media I would love to get that much resolution in my images. Thanks.

It should be Hydrogen alpha, his signature says a Lunt LS60THa. It's white because it was was shot with a mono camera, which is the norm for Ha solar imaging. You add red in post processing.

It's is a stunning image. I'm amaze how much details was capture. Much better than my own embarrassing attempt :embarassed: .

Hi,

I was wondering what type of filter and assumed it must have been Ha. I have decided to buy a Ha telescope, probably a Coronado PST. Unless someone says don't and buy the Solar Max instead, but then they need around £800 of good reasons.

Venus transit,

It's a Goddess with a medium sized van. Very rare apparently, certainly I have never seen one. Appologies to any Goddesses out there, they just don't seem to turn up in my part of the North East.

Can I ask what type of filter you used (besides Baader) to get the resolution of the surface like that? The surface of the Sun just looks flat and white in my images... http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3106#top_display_media I would love to get that much resolution in my images. Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response, Keith is correct, it was taken through a Lunt 60mm Hydrogen-alpha scope with a mono camera. The images direct from the camera don't show that much detail, but when a few hundred frames of them are stacked and processed you can somewhat beat the clouds (although they do leave a bit of a gradient).

Archived