Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

DrRobin

Did You See The Venus Transit?

Almost saw it, but the clouds were *just* too thick, was looking from devils dyke, just NW of Brighton.

Partly cloudy here in southwest Michigan but it did clear enough to get some good viewing in for a few. Projected it through the binoculars onto some paper. Took some time but was well worth it!

Hi,

Well done everyone who has responded, I have added both of your locations. I have made the map worldwide.

Excellent, great to see the world wide community :icon_cheers:

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Your replies have built up a great map of sightings, still clustered together in a line from south east of Birmingham to the south coast near Brighton.

Next one is Mercury in 2012, starting at 11:12 on May 9th and

finishing at 18:42, should give everyone a fighting chance.

oops, did you mean 2016?

Hi,

Thanks for all of the reports, the world wide map is starting to build up now. Thanks Sgazer, it is 2016, a slip of the pen (keyboard) whilst trying to update late at night.

The UK map is filling out now, but if anyone from Ireland, Cumbria or the West coast of Scotland tried and saw it or not please send in a post.

post-10602-0-98139600-1339057422_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi,

A few stats from the data collected so far. Venus transit was observed from 14 places in the UK and there was no view from 37, that is over 25% success rate. Given the forecast for most of the UK that is pretty good.

Saw it from west of Chicago. Plenty of clouds early, but enough breaks to photograph it. Very pleased with my Newbie results. Here is a video made from multiple photographs. http://youtu.be/hvpdEDmINi4

Hi,

Nice video of the transit and congrats on seeing it.

My brief trip from Scotland to Tromso (just a bit off map) was rewarded with an almost completely clear view. Only let down was the airline getting me there 2 hours late, just in time to miss seeing first contact and to prevent imaging until a bit after 2nd contact. The weather was a fluke though as they had not had much clear weather of late and it clouded over before I caught the 1040 flight out.

Even without the Transit the midnight sun is something worth experiencing.

I managed to catch the event from Fox hunters graveyard, Blaenavon. Made a few pics as well and I even caught the Black-drop effect!

gallery_22557_1786_18913.png

Edited by Ganymede12

Hi,

Map updated with recent reports. I have put a picture of the UK map in this post, see the link in a previous post for the full on-line map.

Ganymede12, nice pic through the clouds. That is the thing with solar observing, take several frames and stack them, the cloud evens out and you can still see detail.

post-10602-0-98319000-1339087579_thumb.j

Unfortunately I couldn't take multiple pics to stack them. There was actually a queue to see the transit through my scope!

No show in East Devon. Cloudy.

No show in East Devon (just south of Hartland Point). Cloudy.

no sighting for me in Little Sutton, Cheshire. full cloud along the horizon (annoyingly clear at the zenith though!)

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies overnight. The UK map hasn't changed much for new sightings, still clustered in a line from SE of Birmingham to the South Coast. It would still be nice to get some reports from the following areas:

Ireland;

Cumbria;

West Coast of Scotland.

The full map is at http://maps.google.c...cd1a0619ffcee11

Great map! Very informative.

(p.s when you click on the Blaenavon marker it says seen nr,Blaenavon just thought I'd point it out)

Hi,

I use 'nr' for 'near', but I have changed it to near to avoid confusion.

Since I didn't see the Transit, I was really interested to see where it was seen from. Imagine my horror if it was seen a few miles away. As it happens, the nearest place to me it was seen was a couple of hundred miles away. The forecast the night before wasn't good for anywhere in the UK, so I am really pleased that it was seen in so many places.

I saw the whole Transit but I was at the Visitors Centre on Mauna Kea :grin: Now enjoying some heat and sun at Waikiki Beach near Honolulu.

Peter

• Like 1

I saw the whole Transit but I was at the Visitors Centre on Mauna Kea :grin: Now enjoying some heat and sun at Waikiki Beach near Honolulu.

Peter

Am i allowed to say...

GIT!! OK OK, lucky you :)

Edited by jflowers
  • Like 1

Hi,

Mauna Kea has been added. I think the phrase is 'Lucky You' or 'Nice', not 'G..'. Wish I was there soaking up some of that sun and surf.

Didn't see it from the topof the Great Orme near Llandudno,

Still was good to meet new people can't control the weather will be 154 next way to old to carry a EQ up there lol