SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Did You See The Venus Transit?

DrRobin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partly cloudy here in southwest Michigan but it did clear enough to get some good viewing in for a few. Projected it through the binoculars onto some paper. Took some time but was well worth it!

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Your replies have built up a great map of sightings, still clustered together in a line from south east of Birmingham to the south coast near Brighton.

Next one is Mercury in 2012, starting at 11:12 on May 9th and

finishing at 18:42, should give everyone a fighting chance.

oops, did you mean 2016?

Hi,

Thanks for all of the reports, the world wide map is starting to build up now. Thanks Sgazer, it is 2016, a slip of the pen (keyboard) whilst trying to update late at night.

The UK map is filling out now, but if anyone from Ireland, Cumbria or the West coast of Scotland tried and saw it or not please send in a post.

post-10602-0-98139600-1339057422_thumb.j

Hi,

A few stats from the data collected so far. Venus transit was observed from 14 places in the UK and there was no view from 37, that is over 25% success rate. Given the forecast for most of the UK that is pretty good.

My brief trip from Scotland to Tromso (just a bit off map) was rewarded with an almost completely clear view. Only let down was the airline getting me there 2 hours late, just in time to miss seeing first contact and to prevent imaging until a bit after 2nd contact. The weather was a fluke though as they had not had much clear weather of late and it clouded over before I caught the 1040 flight out.

Even without the Transit the midnight sun is something worth experiencing.

Hi,

Map updated with recent reports. I have put a picture of the UK map in this post, see the link in a previous post for the full on-line map.

Ganymede12, nice pic through the clouds. That is the thing with solar observing, take several frames and stack them, the cloud evens out and you can still see detail.

post-10602-0-98319000-1339087579_thumb.j

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies overnight. The UK map hasn't changed much for new sightings, still clustered in a line from SE of Birmingham to the South Coast. It would still be nice to get some reports from the following areas:

Ireland;

Cumbria;

West Coast of Scotland.

The full map is at http://maps.google.c...cd1a0619ffcee11

Hi,

I use 'nr' for 'near', but I have changed it to near to avoid confusion.

Since I didn't see the Transit, I was really interested to see where it was seen from. Imagine my horror if it was seen a few miles away. As it happens, the nearest place to me it was seen was a couple of hundred miles away. The forecast the night before wasn't good for anywhere in the UK, so I am really pleased that it was seen in so many places.

I saw the whole Transit but I was at the Visitors Centre on Mauna Kea :grin: Now enjoying some heat and sun at Waikiki Beach near Honolulu.

Peter

Am i allowed to say...

GIT!! OK OK, lucky you :)

Archived