SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Did You See The Venus Transit?

DrRobin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Sflowers, shame about the timing. At least you saw the sun. I looked out of my window at 4am to see it raining. It was the same at 4:30 and 5am, so stayed in bed. 105 years is a little too long for me to see the next one, I would be the oldest person alive by far.

Transit of Mercury in 2016 May 9th is next for me.

Went to bed @ 1:30am after watching a super live stream on uStream. Set alarm for 4:30. Woke up, looked outside - solid cloud with almost no chance of breaking in time. Went back to bed.

I knew it would be cloudy in my neck of the woods..so didn't bother getting up early for it...

I did watch the live feed from NASA-Edge from Maun Kea..for a couple of hours last night..

Caught first and second contact.....quite incredible...funny cos I didn't think I would enjoy it..but with the commentary from the observatory it was really good viewing.

The only Transit we saw in Sunderland was the Ford built one that one of our members turned up in!

I did watch the start live on the net, and caught a few screen grabs for posterity.

This was my view......cold, wet, cloudy and windy

537631_401553919888047_1714314816_n.jpg

Yes, 3 of us saw the blighter from Culver Down on the eastern extremity of the Isle of Wight.

Plenty of clouds about and we only got minutes rationed out to us but enough to feel good about.

Ive posted a report on the Observations Forum with a photograph I took by holding a little canon camera to the scope.

Mick IOW

Hi,

Lots more posts and some new sightings. For the UK, it looks like it is a line from south east of Birmingham down to the south coast near the IOW and Brighton.

Anyone from Cumbria, West Scotland more from the West country and Ireland saw it, or didn't see it?

Army Air Force, that isn't Souter Point Lighthouse is it? I was going to go on the road above Souter point near to the golf course, but after seeing the weather forecast on Monday changed my mind to Calerton Lane near Ponteland. In the end I didn't even get fully out of bed.

New map (UK) attached. Definite North South divide. I heard on the BBC that they saw it in Shetland, anyone like to submit a report?

post-10602-0-98712700-1338996840_thumb.j

Hi All,

Islander, great that you saw it in Orkney, it shifts my North South divide now. Went to Orkney walking in 2001, loved it. Just trying to get my misses to go as it was before we met.

......Army Air Force, that isn't Souter Point Lighthouse is it? ......

Yes. A couple of dozen nutters were standing on the street corner, hoping for a break in the clouds, but looking more like a 1970's picket line!

Archived