SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Who's Going To The Autumn Kelling Heath Star Party?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to get one of the last few pitches for Fri-Mon.

I'm concerned though that he mentioned the pitch was right on the edge of the wooded area (Blue 252).

Is this going to be an issue, or can you set up your scope somewhere away from your allocated pitch ?

No idea how these things work or how the ground lies at kelling.

First star party for me... scary!

Here's a map of Kelling Heath with touring pitches numbered. Blue 252 is right at the bottom next to the hedge. But you're well placed to setup away from the hedge with a respectable view of the ecliptic. Extreme West and East may be a little problematic but if you're careful you can avoid most trees to get a reasonable view North. Find the site on google maps and zoom right in - you'll see your pitch easilly. :)

http://www.kellinghe...ng-caravans.pdf

(at least you'll be near the loo block which will be well blacked out - and don't worry there will be plenty of help to hand - SGL mods/admins use the blue field very near to you and so do EMS - all very friendly)

Thanks for the map, brantuk.

Anton, come and say hello to me - I'm on pitch blue 279. I have a blue SW 200P scope so easy to see. Bring the Jaffas! I'd better not have any beer as I'm daft enough to start off with!

Alexxx

I expect lots of people to come see me (Blue T239) and definately bring beer / vodka / jaffa cakes (badgers do I get double helpings as mod and EMS member? :D :D :D)

If the weather is poor, bring a chair, I can probably fit 8/10 seated in my tent ;)

Me and a mate are going courtesy of a member from the Webb DSS. Pitch no T345.

Were booked in from Thrusday to Monday, and this our first visit to Kelling. So I hope the skies are clear during the night, and it's warm during the day.

Does anybody know whether you can put your name down in advance for the 2013 Kelling?

Me and a mate are going courtesy of a member from the Webb DSS. Pitch no T345.

Were booked in from Thrusday to Monday, and this our first visit to Kelling. So I hope the skies are clear during the night, and it's warm during the day.

Does anybody know whether you can put your name down in advance for the 2013 Kelling?

Not that I am aware of as yet, but registration opened for Autumn 2012 in Aug/Sep 2011 so it won't be far off!

"Not that I am aware of as yet, but registration opened for Autumn 2012 in Aug/Sep 2011 so it won't be far off!"

Yep - they were a bit crafty last year - they actually started taking reservations one month early and didn't publicise it. I only heard from a friend on facebook that he'd already booked in - and he'd heard from a friend in the organisers astro group. For 2013 I'd advise to keep your ears to the ground from now onward if you intend to go.... :)

I've never been to Kelling , or any other SP to be honest , and don't have anything booked .

What's the score with attending , kit free , for a night just to meet up and generally introduce oneself and say hello to all those kind folk who've been so helpful since I joined up here ?

I'm not sure what day/night as yet , too far in the future for me to pin anything down , but would like to make it if it's possible.

Steve.

If you just want to visit, there are no real rules. Just turn up and people are keen to chat.

If clear at night more than enough of us are also willing to let people look through scopes.

If you just want to visit, there are no real rules. Just turn up and people are keen to chat.

If clear at night more than enough of us are also willing to let people look through scopes.

Thanks for the reply Dave ,

Will pop up one day and say Hello , starting the heavy carrot diet today... :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

We are on blue 218...star party newbies too. Looking forward to seeing a proper dark sky. Not sure wether to take my tent AKA moon base (huge, will need help putting it up) or rent a caravan towed to the pitch (much warmer/comfier!)

Archived