Brand New In Wiltshire

3Nobby

Hello All.

I'm 46 and the only telescope I have ever used is at the seaside where you put 20p in lol.

It must be my age but I am really developing an interest in wanting to look at the stars etc.

I have been using the pUniverse app on my iphone 4 for a while now and feel like actually trying to see some of the things I have been learning about.

Do I repost somewhere else to get some advice on what kind of kit to buy etc?

Thanks and Regards

Nigel

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

I'd post in the "Beginner's Help and Advice" forum if you're after information on kit. It helps to have some idea of your budget and what sort of thing you're interested in, too. Different kit can be more suited to solar system observing, deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebulae, and astrophotography, the latter being a total money-pit :) There are plenty of telescopes that can do a reasonable job of both solar system and DSOs, so it's not "either/or" by any means.

James

Hi Nigel and welcome to sgl its a tough choice ,and one scope is not good for every thing .if its just general view then a reflector is all good and the cheapest pre inch of mirror repost in beginners and every one will be willing to help

take your time with this do not rush in research is the key ,or even better go join a club ,group research what you really see in the eye piece as some may like the glossy color pics on the web .but when they get the black and white view they seem gutted but am sure if you have got here then.you would no what to expect

but sgl is the right place to get all if not every answer

Pat

Hello All.

I'm 46 and the only telescope I have ever used is at the seaside where you put 20p in lol.

It must be my age but I am really developing an interest in wanting to look at the stars etc.

I have been using the pUniverse app on my iphone 4 for a while now and feel like actually trying to see some of the things I have been learning about.

Do I repost somewhere else to get some advice on what kind of kit to buy etc?

Thanks and Regards

Nigel

3Nobby. Welcome to SGL. I'm also in Wiltshire. Where abouts are you. I've been trying to locate a group local to me. I know of 2 in Wiltshire but one is closer for me than the other but they would prob be a huge help about kit. They'll prob show you difference etc. I'm very much new to this and I have contacted one group but no reply yet. I have a telescope my wife bought me so I'm looking for help and direction. Im doing from memory so the names prob not 100% but ones Salisbury Plain Observation Group and Wiltshire Astronomical society. Both are on web.

Hi Nigel and a huge warm welcome. As some have already said, pop a post in the beginners section and you'll have loads of help. This place is a wonderfully helpful and friendly forum. I've only been on here a month or two but I've learned so so much already just by asking and reading other's questions and answers. Never think any question is a silly one, it's how we all learn and nobody on here will judge you in any way. There are a few members from Wiltshire so it may be worth asking them about clubs etc.

Happy learning and happy viewing :D

Hi Nigel, and welcome.

You've arrived at your destination. Now all you need is to commence your journey!!

As others have said before, post in the beginners section, and wait a few minutes. If you know what you want to get into, then maybe use the search function too as there are more advice topics than you'll ever need...

Clear skies

3Nobby. Welcome to SGL. I'm also in Wiltshire. Where abouts are you. I've been trying to locate a group local to me. I know of 2 in Wiltshire but one is closer for me than the other but they would prob be a huge help about kit. They'll prob show you difference etc. I'm very much new to this and I have contacted one group but no reply yet. I have a telescope my wife bought me so I'm looking for help and direction. Im doing from memory so the names prob not 100% but ones Salisbury Plain Observation Group and Wiltshire Astronomical society. Both are on web.

Vader I'm in Trowbridge. I'll have a look. Let me know if you find somewhere and I'll do the same.

Archived