Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
badgerchap

Transparent Sdo Venus?!

Just watched this full transit video from SDO:

http://venustransit.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/kiosk/dataset/Venus_AIA12s_304Track/phase/track

Oddly enough, if you look carefully, you can see the surface features of the sun through Venus' disk!

Anyone know why this might be?

I have a couple of ideas, neither of which I am confident about:

1) The CCD picking up the image is retaining some energy from earlier images, causing a ghost on the CCD. My main problem with this idea is that there is a good amount of time (over a minute and a half) between images, so presumably, any ghost heat on the CCD should have dissipated? Aside from this, I have no idea whether residual heat on the CCD would cause such an image.

2) Radiation from the sun at certain wavelengths is passing through Venus? As I write this, I realise how silly it is - any form of radiation (neutrinos only really) that could pass through an entire planet, would also presumably pass straight through our CCD.

So apart from that I have no idea. I'm certain it's something fairly mundane, but interesting nonetheless!

Any thoughts?

I noticed this too on a transit video from Nasa that I watched earlier.

I don't know the explanation, but I think it is probably more to do with light scatter than anything else. Venus is basically a rocky planet, so visible radiation won't pass through it. The contrast difference between the sun's light and venus's dark disc i think would rule out seeing any lightning activity from the dense atmosphere.

I think what at first looks like detail from the Sun is actually just noise, I stepped through the time lapse and as Venus passes over brighter and darker patches on the Sun, the "features" seen on Venus don't really match those on the Sun.

I think what at first looks like detail from the Sun is actually just noise, I stepped through the time lapse and as Venus passes over brighter and darker patches on the Sun, the "features" seen on Venus don't really match those on the Sun.

I dunno, I thought that you could definitely make out the sun's limb across the disk of Venus - also some of the brighter patches seemed to shine 'through'. I do agree though, probably noise and/or compression related. Nice effect though, as if Venus is like a giant Baader filter :)

My guess would be compression. Even though the "show through" moves across the frame, I'm guessing it's a crop from a full frame rather than a view following Venus.

Yes it does look weird, doesn't it? If you pause the movie with Venus half on the limb then it's very obvious. I suspect it's some sort of post-processing artefact. It's not simply averaging across frames, because Venus' disk looks sharp. But probably something along those lines is what's going on. They may, for instance, have an algorithm that compresses the brightness range so that it looks nice on a monitor. If that algorithm calculates stuff over the course of the whole movie but then adjusts individual frames then you may get something like what you see here.

• Like 1

The presenters did explain it last night on the live NASA broadcast, but I can not remember what it was they said caused it.

Not sure what video settings I have compared to others, but I would definitely say that that is the Sun showing through Venus.There are bright and dark spots which enter the disk of Venus, change during the migration of Venus, and then emerge in a similar pattern to the solar disk behind.

It's almost like a disk has been painted on in order to illustrate the transit, rather than an actual video, although I don't believe that to actually be the case.

In truth, I have no idea, but it looks pretty (according to the better half)!

I found a link, it said

the effect of the sun's light shining through Venus is caused by light refraction which is apparent because we're viewing the event from so far away.

And NASA's video

Due to refraction one can see the atmosphere of Venus when it's at the solar limb (http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/jun/05/world-set-for-the-2012-transit-of-venus). I suspect that is what the quote is alluding to. The effect in the movie, however, is certainly a processing artefact. There, the whole planet appears to be slightly transparent and there's no way that can be real.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      yesterday evening after doing the sketch of the three-day old moon, we had a wonderful twilight scene with Venus and the Moon over here.
      So I did a pastel sketch how I recalled it afterwards:

Clear skies!
      Achim
    • By ShrewView
      With the extra time I have at the moment, and the weather being so good, I’ve been catching up on a few jobs I’ve been meaning to do. One of these is the re-spotting and recollimation of the mirror on my newt. I found I didn’t have any ring binder re-enforcers but made something similar by hole punching a self-adhesive label and carefully cutting out.

With the collimation done and the sun setting I was keen to see whether my time had been well spent. I think it was November when I last had a proper evening of astro, my efforts earlier this week got hazed out, so I was looking forward to this!

First up was Venus in the early twilight. Using my binoviewers and a couple of filters in combination (a ND0.9 and the baader neodinium) I got some encouragement with some good sharp views. I could almost swear I could see a little detail but I’m sure that was just wishful thinking. I also tried a UHC and O111 filters as I had some, but they didn’t show anything better. In fact, the O111 had the peculiar effect that after a few minutes observing a bright green target, when I came to look up at Venus by eye, it appeared a bright and angry orange colour, like Arcturus on steroids.

After Venus I chose M45 and then the open clusters in Auriga and this was where my earlier work really showed its value. So many pin sharp little stars, far more than I recall when I last viewed these targets. I always feel surprised at how good these targets are though with M37 and 38 the best of them, being a bit more compact.

I also had my new TS80mm frac out to see what I could catch and to compare views of the same targets. All were pleasing, albeit smaller in scale. I was also glad to be able to spot M65 and 66 in Leo. Obviously not as good as in the bigger newt which will show the triplet of galaxies in the same field. Still, I’m happy to know I can pick those up in my local skies with this little scope. It bodes well for darker sky trips in future.

I followed up with some globs and ended with M13 in Hercules. Always a favourite, but by now a thin film of ice was settling on the scopes and my chair so it was time to call it a night.

I’ve been really cheerful today as a result of getting some scope time in, which just shows the value of a good hobby in times like these.

Thanks for reading.

• By JBR1194
      Hello
      I recently purchased a new celestron telescope and set it up last night to use for the first time. I live in UK, around 8/9pm-ish I took my telescope outside to view Venus in the western sky as it was v bright, perfect opportunity.
      After finding Venus and increasing the focus I realised that there was something like a large black circle in the centre of the bright blue/white ring of light. Before focussing, it appeared to be just v bright light. 
      I am wondering if anyone can explain to me why this black circle appeared on / in front of Venus.  I thought it looked like a moon, which is obviously incorrect but it looked that way. Is it possibly sulphuric clouds of Venus absorbing light? 
      Any information/help is much appreciated
      happy observing, all!
    • By Halil
      Hi All,
      I took this picture by coincidence while trying to take photo of a single cloud on the sky.
      Is this Venus?
      Thanks.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.