SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horizon Special - Transit Of Venus

andrew63

Padding out seems to be what the BBC does best nowadays just look at he mess they made of the Jubilee Pageant. I want the good ol days back of the decent Horizons era. To the BBC Please stop spending my TV licence fee money on programme presenters. Believe me, one is enough where you think you need 3 or 4!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought it was resoundingly ok. patrick moore could have done it in 10 minutes, but i wouldn't want him walking down the beach in a wetsuit.

anyway, i think the problem with these programs is a kind of arrogance from the producers. it seems to boil down to the idea that there's this great unwashed mass of people, the "everyone else", that these programs should appeal to. i don't think these people exist. i don't accept the idea that there's a great swathe of the population that can't understand a bit of maths. i don't understand the maths involved in working out how big 1AU is well enough to actually do it, though i get the idea. but the important thing is, i'm willing to listen, no way would it, or something equally complex in a biology program, say, make me turn it off. i would stick with it because it was hard. sure, some people are not interested and won't watch the program, but that's a whole separate issue. i just don't like the idea that content is dumbed down because producers assume that people can't understand it and are too lazy to try. this isn't true.

stephen.

No not fair comment. We rarely get anything on the TV that challenges the audience. All we ever get is a 1 hour program with 5 minutes of content with lots of very nice photography.

Why do always have to be 'entertained', how about being educated at least once in a while...?

I agree whole heartedly: dumbing down is rife - take for example the coverage of the Jubilee Flotilla on the beeb. watch this week's Have I Got News for You for pithy biting comment on that !

Archived