SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First Ever Attempt At Ha Solar Imaging.

Ant

Hi All,

First big thanks to Kev and Helen for some pointers on getting started. As always bang on the money.

Ok, I borrowed a PST from Jon (Ford Prefect) for the transit and luckily got to try it out this morning. Good thing I did as I hadn't installed the DMK driver properly when reinstalling Win7 and the DMK doesn't focus with the PST at prime focus.

I found an old 2 x barlow that had an unscrewable lens cell, I screwed that into the DMK which gives me a roughly a 1.4-1.5 image scale increase, but more importantly it will let me get to focus.

The weather is not good here but focused as best I could (need more work on that) and I managed to get three AVI of cloud going over the sun. So this is the result.

I've added the colour in Photoshop, I think that focus is off a little as I had to be quite brutal in Registax5 with the sliders...

Any tips/suggestion gratefully received.

grab a copy of DSSR from http://windowsillobs....wordpress.com/ it will capture videos for you and also guide on sun features which makes life a lot easier. :) It also has histogrames etc to set the correct exposure. Increasing the gamma or magnifying the image will also help the focus. I would use a gamma around 120-140 for the capture, it will give a low contrast video but allow you to post process it into a detailed image

Note: if you can mount the camera so that the front of the camera casing touches the top of the eyepiece tube the camera will focus without any other optics or tubes.

There is an odd artifact coming in from the left side about 1/3 of the way down, looks like a straight line that then arrows up to the top of the image ??

Try to capture at least 1000 frames for post processing to improve the SNR

The region you've captured is this one I believe, it hasn't changed significantly

133737.jpg

Cheers Steve, I need to stick to what I've got as it's for the transit tomorrow and I don't have access to a low profile adapter, or the tools to turn the one I have into a low profile one :)

The quality of the AVI is poor to say the least, but there isn't much I can do about that apart from wait for better conditions...

[media=]

Ant

Archived