SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium And Windows 8

SionR25

TBH, if you are getting blue screens, then it is most likely hardware related or an errant device driver.

That's the problem with M$, you just can't go 'off piste' with it. You try and do anything that isn't 100% mainstream and you get into major trouble. You can't go having device drivers checked for you when you're going through 10 versions in an afternoon. and our hardware isn't PCI cards or motherboards, no we're talking USB using well settled devices like FTDI chips and drivers. and the system should behave but it doesn't.

No.. not impressed

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the problem with M$, you just can't go 'off piste' with it. You try and do anything that isn't 100% mainstream and you get into major trouble. You can't go having device drivers checked for you when you're going through 10 versions in an afternoon. and our hardware isn't PCI cards or motherboards, no we're talking USB using well settled devices like FTDI chips and drivers. and the system should behave but it doesn't.

No.. not impressed

I'm really not sure I know how you would like me to respond to this . Are you asking me to agree with you or take a contrary position? You said you were getting blue screens, I suggested it is probably either hardware or a device driver related - which looks even more likely cause given the information you provided above.

Are you talking about 10 versions of a device driver in an afternoon? Is this a development environment?

No.. not impressed

Have to agree with Black Knight, sounds like a Hardware/Driver issue, have you looked at the memory dumps from the BSOD's? try here if not Blue Screen Viewer

Have to agree with Black Knight, sounds like a Hardware/Driver issue, have you looked at the memory dumps from the BSOD's? try here if not Blue Screen Viewer

I'm saying we run a development environment.. however the BSOD can occur at any time, not just when developing hardware. All our hardware is non PC, just has some control from a PC over USB. There are times when we need to go though multiple editions of a driver.. but at these times the machines tend to be OK. BSOD don't happen every day, but they do happen. My last one happend when all I had open was email XL Acrobat and Word.

sorry, not trying to say they don't happen, just that a BSOD usually has info related to its cause, either during the BSOD event or in its memory dump. Honestly not trying to teach you to suck eggs, I am sure you have traced the issue to its cause.

• 3 weeks later...

if you want trouble free computing - go with a Mac.

No viruses

no de-fragging

bullet proof software

Dont give me the usual tripe about software deficiencies - i run any windows program that isnt native to Mac OS via parallel.

No viruses

no de-fragging

bullet proof software

Dont give me the usual tripe about software deficiencies - i run any windows program that isnt native to Mac OS via parallel.

Rubbish :)

Windows 8 :eek: ......what happened to "if is ain't bust don't fix it"

Oh I get it MS wants more money

Dagnabbit...I'm still resisting moving to Windows 3.11

No viruses

no de-fragging

bullet proof software

Cobblers. Macs are only safe from viruses (virii??) due to their tiny market penetration (about 5% of search engine searches are completed on Safari). In many ways, the Mac OS is less secure than Windows 7. In fact, the Mac OS is usually the first to be cracked at hackers conferences (at the pwn2own conference in 2011 it took just 5 seconds to gain control of a Mac book).

Also the Mac user view of "I've a Mac, therefore I don't need to worry about threats" makes them MORE susceptible. Remember phishing attacks "hack" the user, not the machine. I know a number of Mac users who genuinely think that they do not need to worry about such things. It's this thinking that means they are highly vulnerable to phishing attacks and browser compromises.

Oh, and you dont have to defrag with Win 7 (or Vista, or XP). And I run a number of Windows machines and have not had any virus attacks in the last decade. Why? Because I use a half-decent firewall and run good anti-virus software.

I heard that Nat West was still using NT4 :)

Davey-T

Airports do! (luckily only in the departure lounge, imagine the chaos it it was the control tower :) )

bsod_airport.jpg

Its been a few years, but that blue screen looks more like Windows 95,98 or Millenium rather than NT4. Could be mistaken though.

Yer, I meant windows in general (I would say NT4 would have been a better choice than those 3 anyway)

Archived