SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium And Windows 8

SionR25

Hi everyone,

I got the Windows 8 preview a few days ago and it all seems to be going rather smoothly (I like the new start screen and operations seem quite fast and smooth), apart from Stellarium. It lags on any function, jerky movements and pretty much unusable. Just wondering has anyone else experienced this and is there a way round it (without reverting to Windows 7 :p)?

Sion

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you might want to try the stellarium 1.1.3rc see if that works, report it to the programers if you have a problem with it. :grin:

Being a developer myself, I'd tell you to go away (polite version) if my software didn't work on your beta OS ;)

As mentioned above, it's most likely a driver issue for the graphics card and it's more relevant to Microsoft than Stellarium at this point in time.

And you might want to try the stellarium 1.1.3rc see if that works, report it to the programers if you have a problem with it.

I didn't realise I was so out of date !!! :eek:

I'm still running 0.11.3

;):grin::rolleyes2:

Regards,

Paul

Windows 8 :eek: ......what happened to "if is ain't bust don't fix it"

Oh I get it MS wants more money

I read somewhere that Windows 10 is in development, they have a long term game to plan, Windows 7 was well worth the upgrade as soon as I can download a technet release candidate Windows 8 I will be. that will mean a dedicated pc for it before using it for real on my PC though

It's called progress ;)

You realise Win7 is three years old now?

we do normally get up to service pack 3 though, perhaps that is a sign on the overall improvement 7 was from the get go...

we do normally get up to service pack 3 though, perhaps that is a sign on the overall improvement 7 was from the get go...

7 was a huge improvement there's no doubt about that.

However XP was an exception, MS got stuck in a rut with it, then failed to replace it suitably.

18/24 months is the new MS timeframe for major software (most of their products) releases : and even that is slow compared to some of their competitors :)

It's called progress ;)

You realise Win7 is three years old now?

Wow I didn't realise I'd been using it for that long! How time flies eh. I think I'm going to hold off with Windows 8 until the final release though this time, let all the drivers etc be sorted out first. I'm definitely looking forward to 8 though, I've heard it's a bit special :D

I never understand this. Do people say this about Ford Motor Company when they bring a new model to market, or Warner Bros bringing out a new film, or Sony bringing out new TVs? But for some reason Microsoft should be exempt from the way the market works?

Wierd :icon_scratch: .

I can't beleive the generally good feedback windoze 7 is getting here.

I still hate it's guts with a vengence. I had XP SP3 working fairly stably, then I had to change machine and it came pre-infected with the joke that was win 7, and everything has been slower and more problematic it's taken a good couple of years for it to finally get stable enough not to waste shed loads of time. (don't mention windows search.. )

I've tried Ubuntu in the past, but didn't make the jump then, the prospect of the pain involved with win 8 and shortly thereafter win 10 will certainly push me over the edge.

I've suffered M$ since DOS 5.0.. I won't be joining the Win 8 crowd.

Derek

At least its not like apple who bring out a new must have phone and ipad every 12 months :D

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

I can't beleive the generally good feedback windoze 7 is getting here.

I still hate it's guts with a vengence. I had XP SP3 working fairly stably, then I had to change machine and it came pre-infected with the joke that was win 7, and everything has been slower and more problematic it's taken a good couple of years for it to finally get stable enough not to waste shed loads of time. (don't mention windows search.. )

I've tried Ubuntu in the past, but didn't make the jump then, the prospect of the pain involved with win 8 and shortly thereafter win 10 will certainly push me over the edge.

I've suffered M$ since DOS 5.0.. I won't be joining the Win 8 crowd.

Derek

Couldn't be happier with Windows 7, we have over 1000 machines running it at work (I am an IT Tech :) ), finally moved the last over from XP last year. They login faster, run faster and generally just work.

Another +1 for Windows 7. After all, it can hardly be worse than the travesty that was Windows Vista. I really like Win 7, it has the flexibility from the old days of 95 etc, but is much more stable and harder to break!

Personally, I am worried that Win 8 will focus too much on the touchscreen aspect and neglect us oldskool keyboard users - but then again, there may not be that many keyboard only PC's for much longer!

I never understand this. Do people say this about Ford Motor Company when they bring a new model to market, or Warner Bros bringing out a new film, or Sony bringing out new TVs? But for some reason Microsoft should be exempt from the way the market works?

Wierd :icon_scratch: .

True, but then many of us are driving around in 10 year old cars and watching TV's from the early flat screen days anyway.

Many of us also dislike the ethos behind Windows although we have little choice but to use it. And don't get me started on the X Box which has lights on it to show you that it is slowly packing up on you - why is that necessary, bad enough that they make things to fall apart after a few years without telling you that it is happening. Disgraceful when you see what they are charging for both the X Box and Windows OS.

Couldn't be happier with Windows 7, we have over 1000 machines running it at work (I am an IT Tech :) ), finally moved the last over from XP last year. They login faster, run faster and generally just work.

Ours don't

Blue screen of death.. you name it. Heap of &^%^

Another +1 for Windows 7. After all, it can hardly be worse than the travesty that was Windows Vista. I really like Win 7, it has the flexibility from the old days of 95 etc, but is much more stable and harder to break!

Personally, I am worried that Win 8 will focus too much on the touchscreen aspect and neglect us oldskool keyboard users - but then again, there may not be that many keyboard only PC's for much longer!

Disregarding my previous rant, I find Windows 7 does what I want pretty well also. Mind you that is the good thing - you don't have to change to the latest version, although some people seem to think that having the latest is the same as having the best - unfortunately it doesn't always work that way though.

Archived