Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Way To Store A Newtonian

I've just finished flocking my scope and during the process whilst removing all the bit and bobs, noticed that my primary mirror had quite a lot of dust on it. I removed as much as could with an air blower and replaced it without any further cleaning.

It's now made me rethink how I store it. I normally stand it up with the primary mirror on the floor. My thinking behind this was that I didn't want it to be stood up being top heavy. The only problem is that over months of it being stored like this, dust has somehow managed to get in despite the dust cover always being on.

I've now decided to store it stood up with the primary at the top in an attempt stop this happening any further. I was just wondering how other people store their Newtonians and have they experienced similar problems.

Thanks

Brian

If it is a truss type newtonian then why not make a simple cover for the mirror. Even a simple cardboard circle with a coule of layers of acid free tissue attached would be better then nothing. It would also act as a bit of protection if anything heavier then dust were to drop on the mirror. :grin:

Archived