Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew Zapper project!

Rob

Long shot this but I plan to use an old beer warming strap to zap dew on the 127 mak. I hope to some how create a power controller to adjust the amount of juice being used as its an AC mains jobby!!.

Any thoughts are welcome

Rob :)

I hope to some how create a power controller to adjust the amount of juice being used as its an AC mains jobby!!.

You can get controller box's from Maplins Electronics cant you were by you plug your AC mains adapter into the box and there's a Lead from the box to supply electric to your heater strap. The box has the Amp's settings of which you can change to suit whatever appliance you are using..

I seem to remember seeing one a while back Rob dont take it as Gospal i may be wrong..

James

I built my own dew zapper for the SCT out of 1 watt resistors, some wire and some heat shrink tubing. All together it cost about $10 US. It runs on a 12V battery, the same one used to power the scope, or my truck and works amazingly well. I've only had to use it 3 times, two of which were up at the Grand Canyon, but if you build one, it should work for you, too. I'd be happy to write an assembly procedure for you, if you like.

I built my own dew zapper for the SCT out of 1 watt resistors, some wire and some heat shrink tubing..........I'd be happy to write an assembly procedure for you, if you like.

Astroman I think that would be most useful - when you have the time. Not only for current members here, but for future members to this forum, too.

• 2 months later...

Love the Idea,

I am an Electronics student and have most of the bits and pieces to hand. I have a few of my own idea's as well. I hope to do quite a bit of observing this winter so this can be a nice little project for my 5" refractor as the dew shield on it is not great. Many Thanks for the inspiration!!

I also have some bright red LED's and am looking to use these to make a Red Night Vision Torch with a few differences. When I have finished I will post it on the on the forum.

Regards,

Bill

Archived