SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PST flocking

Has anyone flocked the inside of the gold tube between the front blue lens and the Etalon?

I'm thinking that it would reduce scattered light bouncing down the tube and improve contrast.

Will be going stage 1 PST mod sometime in the future and would not hesitate flocking the donor tube so why not the PST one?

Any thoughts?

• 1 year later...

I think scattered light is the main reason for contrast loss in all telescopes, whether it's wide band or narrow band I don't think makes any difference, it's still light at the desired frequency.

Reducing internal scattered light can do nothing but help improve contrast as I see it - for any type of telescope.

The majority of light scatter during solar Ha observation comes from external atmospheric scatter. A murky yet clear day will show up as a pink haze round the Sun whereas a day of excellent transparency will show a nice black background. On a couple of PST mods we have removed the baffles in the donor telescope as forward reflections from the etalon lit up the rear of the baffles like red glowing rings, even when they were flocked. The main tube was still flocked. :smiley:

Archived