Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RePlacing zoom eyepieces with a fixed eyepiece

As the title suggests I am considering buying a zoom binocular with the intention of replacing the zoom eyepieces with a fixed eyepiece. So a Sakura 20-180x100 will become a 12x100.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible. I know it's possible to remove the objectives on some cheaper 10x50s is it possible to remove the objectives from a zoom binocular?

Cheers,

Ickle

Firstly, NOTHING will make the Sakura 20-180x100 an {anything} x100 -- it's a 70mm objective. Secondly, there is no inexpensive reliable way of replacing binocular eyepieces unless they are designed to be replaced.

Please read my Binocular Sky web pages on binocular basics, choosing binoculars, and hype in advertising.

Hi Ickle. Tough questions here ! It's certainly possible, but.......

If the zoom binos you are thinking of buying for modification are new, then I'd say you would be far better off buying fixed magnification bins. If they are very cheap second hand ones, then maybe. Unless you are familiar with this sort of thing, you could end up with a bag of unusable bits.

You would need to source replacement eyepieces, and find a way of fitting them. You ask if you can remove the objectives, well probably, but without seeing those bins it's hard to know if they come off easily. If you are considering a complete rebuild using the 100mm objectives and the prisms, then it's actually quite hard to construct a workable and collimated binocular.

Please don't let me put you off if you think you are up for it, but I'd think it through before proceeding. There are some good and ready made large binos available for what is actually a bargain price.

Good luck if you go ahead.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks for the replies, i bought a pair of 12x50 binos that were badly out of collimation and the objectives were dirty inside. I removed the objectives and eyepieces and cleaned them. I bought a pair of 10x50 which I replaced the eyepiece with the 10x50. So I do have experience with dismantling binos. If the 70mm objectives on the Sakura are removable then I can swap them for the 50mm. I just dont want to buy the zooms if the objectives can't be removed.

You would need to source replacement eyepieces, and find a way of fitting them.

Have you ever done this!?
You ask if you can remove the objectives.... If you are considering a complete rebuild using the 100mm objectives
Removing the objectives is not an issue but, I repeat, the objectives are not 100mm! I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but I would be very surprised if the objectives have even a nodding acquaintance with the notion of optical excellence.

(On the batphone, so probably riddled with weird predicted text.),

Hi Tetenterre, to answer your question to me, no I've never done this, and wouldn't bother to try myself. To me this is a non-starter, but some folk are

amazingly versatile in what they can achieve.

And I've seen some binocular objectives that were glued on, and to remove them would destroy them.

I'd just get ready made big bins myself, and save myself hours of work before I chucked it in the bin............!

Regards, Ed.

Edit, Hi Steve, just been looking at your binocular sky link, very useful, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

If there are other similar binoculars in the series it's possible they used the same parts on a few models to save money and therefore substituting parts may be possible.

As others have said I doubt they are worth bothering worth as they are probably very poor quality to start with.

Astronoob were you trying to say you swapped parts around on the 10x and 12x binoculars you bought? Were they perhaps old Japanese made binoculars and possibly made by the same company, even if rebadged differently?

I've also heard of people doing this with some Russian binocular series'.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived