Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

JamesF

And the current forecast for the Venus transit is...

That's funny Russell, because the weather I looked at showed a better chance of clear skies in devon and cornwall that where I am... I'm in the Fens - so not a million miles from you.

Someone's lying... I think it's the weather men.

Ant

Hi i'm currently imaging with PIRATE in majorca from derbyshire and its lovelly there. But have arranged to meet for a go at Venus. weather arrrrrHHHH......

I'm doing the same. I really hope that I get to see it. Even Jamie (my son) has asked to be woken up and went to bed early - a whole 2 hours early :shocked: ... it's not looking good though!

Ant

Cloud in portsmouth area , why couldnt it have been last week?

Viewing online looks very impressive.

Given I'm planning on waking up in about 2.5 hours, why am I still up watching the various feeds?...

Been watching it online, don't think I can sit for the whole duration so I'm calling it a night. At least I can say I was a part of it in the online community, which may be the best I could have managed. There may be a glimmer of hope for people in the West or Midlands as I see a gap in the clouds on the satellite animation in WeatherPro on the iPad on it's way, but I don't think it will hit the East coast in time (if at all), cloud formations have a habit of changing as they hit land.

Good night and good luck! :icon_salut:

Edited by jonathan

Went cloudy for a while, but sun's made another appearance now. Hope I can catch the end.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 2

Can see few clouds breaking away im going upstairs to where have me scopes are in bit have computer switched on ready and mini laptop :) hopefully i see somet even if it's little image i take least took somet if can see any of transit from where i am

I also see some breaks in the cloud. I found a good high site with ENE views yesterday. Loading up the car, ever hopeful.

Clear skies.

I almost wish it was raining now... mostly cloudly with just a hint of breaks... gotta get out now if I'm going to!

Sat 24 shows a break in the clouds heading our way. Going to give it a go!

Stu

Thoroughly miserable weather on the St Cyrus clifftops. Cloud & rain as far as the eye can see - no sun or Venus in sight. On the other hand there's lovely romantic view for me & Mrs D to enjoy. From the car. In the rain.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

And back to bed.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

i have cloud and my scope is currently pointing at a mountain :(

looks like I have missed it, damn my lack of planning

post-21894-133895741735_thumb.jpg Clouded out.. Better to have tried and failed etc.. Back to bed :)

Just had it beautifully in my eyepiece in Warwickshire for about 2 mins before cloud smothered it again.........

Spoke too soon! Just caught a glimpse of Venus touching the edge of the solar disc! Woohoo!

Its raining in Broadstairs. I had some ckear sky heading towards the horizon so got set up. Only for it to close before it got there then another shiwer soaked me and the scope :-( Mrs did a good job taking photos of me looking stupid :-)

Got very lucky here in the Midlands - the sun broke the clouds about fifteen minutes before the transit's end, and the clouds that were passing across it cleared to let me see final contact for the briefest of moments. I didn't get a great view, but it was something. Very glad that I fought the urge to go back to sleep when my alarm went off two hours ago!

Well, if this isn't [exasperation]10, I don't know what is!

Clouds parted exactly ten minutes after last contact :angry5: !!!

Got a lovely projection of a completely unencumbered Sun's disk.

Ah well, saw the 2004 one in its entirety, so I can't really grumble.

Amazing! The cloud was looking like it was not going to break, but then incredibly we got a five to ten minute gap just before 3rd contact so could clearly see the whole disk of venus. Watched it through until 3rd contact then clouds returned so back home now.

It was well worth making the effort for. I've seen a transit of Mercury before but Venus appears so much bigger!

Stu

Edited by BigMakStutov