740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Any Old Friends?

Bryan196

I have a few friends. I guess the moon is first for me, ever since I got to stay up late and watch Apollo missions when I was a kid.

The plough, because I love the way it leads you to so many targets. Orion, and its nebula. Jupiter, as it was the first target I saw in a telescope.

And my new friend this year is Albireo - I can't get enough of those beautiful colours.

When galaxy hunting and having no luck I always end up looking at M81 and M82.

I think I find them easily as they both fit the same FOV and I know exactly where to find them. This may change as I get more experienced. Still to find M13 and when I see M57 I think that may become one of my favorites.

when i'm in australia i always make a point of finding the southern cross but now i live in uk i think my favorite constellation is orion but i uaually start and finish a viewing session with the planets. jupiter is my favourite 'coz it's the first planet i saw through my scope and saturn just coz it's so spectacular. m42 and m45 are also favorites then closely followed by everything else up there. sorry to say mars has been a bit of a disappointment although that could change if i ever get to see him under good/excellent seeing conditions.

Still to find M13

This link may help, Paul: http://www.solarius.net/Pages/Articles/dbArticle.aspx?artid=messier_finders.

The two circles of the Rigel are half a degree and two degrees across, so they match the size of the inner two circles of the Telrad's own target pattern. So, it's quite easy to use the inner two rings for the Rigel's following these type of Telrad finder charts. Perhaps the lack of an outer ring can make some extended star hops a little more difficult but M13 should be easy to find.

Hope this has helped a little...

Good luck & clear skies to you.

Cyngus nebs for me... with Orion a close second only because i get better views though...

I'd never have guessed!!!:hello2: (Some great images do kind of give that one away....)

No originality prizes for me. The Veil and M42.

I always beat myself up looking for Stephan's Quintet, though. Every year my eyesight gets worse so it gets harder.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

• 2 months later...

For a friend I wait for? That would have to be the Milky Way in summer when it's high overhead. It's the only "object" that I have still not explored fully yet. There's just so much of it to observe. Of course the MW in the winter is different since we are looking at the opposite direction from the center but I can't tolerate the winter cold so the summer view is my favorite.

It has to be Orion for me. I have looked at Orion since I was a little girl but only found out exactly what it was two years ago. The moon comes a close second though as I can spend hours looking at it and the time

just flies.

• Like 1

I have to be another to say the moon.

I've been fortunate enough to work, live and also visit many different places in the world and have to say that I always get a sense of comfort from gazing up to see the moon in its magnificence. Strangely enough whenever I feel a bit home sick I look up and remember all the times I've stared at the very same object from the place I grew up as a kid and I don't feel so bad. (Probably sounds a bit wierd :smiley: ).

I have always been truly amazed at its sight as it's like an old friend that I've always had through my life.

Orion and myself go back about 32 yrs. I always look forward to his return to the night sky.

im much the same, i got my scope in Janurary when Orion was high in the sky, so it was my first sight. id always loved it since i was young too. The Orion Nebula was the first DSO i looked at through my scope also.

Ursa Major. I look for it first to align or to get my orientation. When I'm at a star party and walk into the field, it just looks amazing.

I wish I'd learnt the constellations first when getting into astronomy. I didn't raelise how much enjoyment you could get looking at the constellations.

Venus, although it's no longer high enough in the sky, as it was my first object.

Then Saturn, because it's the best I've seen (I got the scope too late to see Jupiter).

Then the Moon, seeing it's craters in detail is amazing, on some nights the view is better than Saturn.

Exactly the same experience here :D

I was only 10 back then but I will never forget the first view of the "half-moon" Venus, the rings around Saturn,

and all the "spooky" craters of the moon. I should still have some drawings I made back then of moon

craters and Saturn :D

And when I look at them now, it feels like 'being back there" or like seeing good old friends :)

Saturn, which was the very first celestial object I ever saw through a telescope (my brother's 6" in the early 70's) and Jupiter, which was first light (other than the alignment stars) through my scope. Definitely my 2 favs.