SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any Old Friends?

Bryan196

While waiting for darkness to fall, a random thought came to my head and i though i might as well post it here. Does anybody have any "old friends" in the night sky? An object that you always make sure to see during an session, or you can't wait for it to return to the skys? Mine would have to be Jupiter. It was the first object that i managed to find with the horrible finder that came with the scope, and it was a brilliant view. What's yours? :hello2:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Venus, although it's no longer high enough in the sky, as it was my first object.

Then Saturn, because it's the best I've seen (I got the scope too late to see Jupiter).

Then the Moon, seeing it's craters in detail is amazing, on some nights the view is better than Saturn.

Crux, without a doubt.

Maybe because I haven't seen it for a few years but it's such a big piece of my life for a number of reasons, I just can't wait to meet back up with this old buddy.

Other than that Jupiter is always a go to object and i'm taking a shine to Arcturus.

I think I've got an 'old friend' for each season.

Orion, of course. Leo to herald the spring, then the Summer Triangle, then the Square of Pegasus and the line of Andromeda to round off the year.

But there are others. Sagittarius always being a pain to pick out from British latitudes, I always look forward to it on a summer trip to France (going next week :hello2:), where the old 'teapot' stands bright and clear of the horizon. And if I'm there earlier in the year, the familiar quadrilateral of Corvus, for some reason, is something I welcome each time it returns. Why that not-very-striking constellation, I wonder? Possibly because it plays host to the Antennae, one of the most challenging DSO targets for me - and I've had two goes at it...

Jupiter, because he always puts on a great show and was the first thing I saw through a 'scope.

M13 because it's like a pile of jewels strewn across the velvet night

and Vega because it's the first star other than Betelguese (everyone knows that one!) that I learned the name of!

Orion rising later in the year will be like welcoming an old friend - the colourful stars that make up the constellation itself (and their histories and diversity) - and the wonders of the sword - the more look for, the more you see. It is also a great indicator, signposting many other great sights in the neighbourhood.

The Plough for the same reason - it is another great indicator, pointing to many faint galaxies that, although fairly easy to find, are always interesting to discover again.

The Pleiades open cluster is always a wonderful sight as well and I return to it time and time again.

And lastly, although many malign it because it floods out the fainter sights, the Moon is always a favourite with so much to discover as it goes through it's phases.

Another one for Orion when its available. I do like to pop in on M57 (Ring Nebula) as that was my first deep sky object that I managed to find with my first scope. Planet wise, for me it's Saturn as it was the very first thing I ever saw in any scope - always a pleasure.

James

Orion and myself go back about 32 yrs. I always look forward to his return to the night sky.

:hello2: +1 for Orion. This was the first constellation I found by my own efforts so a sense of achievement whenever I see the belt stars and nebulous patches.

Messier 81 and 82 in Ursa Major. They were the first galaxies I ever found - with my 60mm refractor over 25 years ago. Definitely old friends and still my favourite galaxies to view now.

I love the way so many people have something they remember from decades ago. I love the way Astronomical objects last, for what it's worth, often eternally. With the exception of comets, planetary storms and sunspots, most things will still be around for me to see when I'm in my old age! If I get that far lol....

The moon every time since a kid with a chepo refractor I would wait out side every night till my dad brought me a moon calendar,am now in my forties and still can not wait for it to pop up

Archived