Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAL2 powerpack

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, to summarise making a few assumptions:

1.My TAL is probably an early one

2.The motor is probably AC (too wet to strip down to check labels at the moment)

3. The earthing should be OK

4. Failure possibly due one of those bits malfunctioning.

Options:

1. Get powerpack checked out. Replace faulty component. Replace fuseholder with standard 5x20mm.

2. Completely rebuild powerpack with new transformer etc to be like everyone else's

3. Ditch the power pack and get one of those TAL quartz gizmos to run off a car battery

4. ?? Richards battery pack

5. Sell scope and take up flower arranging.

Thanks again for all the input. Thanks James for offer of visit. Never been to Stoke, could be an excuse!)

So, to summarise making a few assumptions:

1.My TAL is probably an early one - Yup, without doubt.

2.The motor is probably AC (too wet to strip down to check labels at the moment) - Again, yes, I'd say so.

3. The earthing should be OK - sounds like it

4. Failure possibly due one of those bits malfunctioning. - more than likely.

Options:

1. Get powerpack checked out. Replace faulty component. Replace fuseholder with standard 5x20mm. - I'd go down this route before thinking about anything else for now. Down the line, you could think about other options.

2. Completely rebuild powerpack with new transformer etc to be like everyone else's

3. Ditch the power pack and get one of those TAL quartz gizmos to run off a car battery

4. ?? Richards battery pack

5. Sell scope and take up flower arranging.

Thanks again for all the input. Thanks James for offer of visit. Never been to Stoke, could be an excuse!)

Cheers,

Andy.

(Just tagging this on to this thread).

Andy, I think you mentioned in a previous post that you had replaced those little screws on the backplate of the motor/gearbox/clutch housing with thumbscrews. Could you give me any details, source etc.

Thanks

Jason

If you need any more pictures of the "internals" just say and will post.

Also, mine has 2 fuzes too, : 240v 2A as indicated in other posts and smaller than normal household fuzes. They seem to be similar in size to another fuze that I have seen in a valve guitar amp that I have. If any problems getting a replacement fuze you could try a music shop.

(Just tagging this on to this thread).

Andy, I think you mentioned in a previous post that you had replaced those little screws on the backplate of the motor/gearbox/clutch housing with thumbscrews. Could you give me any details, source etc.

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason,

long discussion (including disassembly / reassembly instructions) in this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=162892. Post #6 contains links to the supplier I found for replacement screws, bolts & bearings. I used Allen screws rather than thumb bolts but they are still a LOT better than the dreadful slot-heads that TAL put in.

P.S. Don't get your hopes up too much about Stoke :hello2:

J.

Hi Jason.

I use one thumbscrew to hold the backplate on. Totally secure and makes it easy to gain access.

7329177600_9da5aab9f1.jpg

7329178796_2b6f3440a4.jpg

I have one of these M3 thumbscrews left. If you check that yours is an M3 thread, 'private message' me your name & address and I'll send you it down to you.

I originally got various thumbscrews from these guys, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/naoutlet?_rdc=1 , but they don't have a big range at the moment.

Cheers,

Andy.

Cheers James, great thread. The ammount of knowledge there is on here is staggering. I must admit, my head is spinning a bit. So much information. I think I'd better proceed slowly, get to know my scope if only to look at the moon and a planet or two then start the fine tuning (after I've got the drive sorted out). I've bookmarked the thread for future reference. In the meantime I'll be getting some replacement screws for the motor cover.

Thanks again

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the powerpack back, and it's working fine. Not exactly sure what he did, but it wasn't much. He only wanted a fiver. I'll try and get more details. There's still no fuse in that little holder, but it's putting out 12-14V AC. Just had it running for an hour and it appears to be spot on. I'm a bit worried about there being no fuse in the system, but I don't really want to start fiddling around with it while it seems to be working.

(just remembered to check the fuse in the mains plug and change to 3Amp if necessary.

(Thanks again to everyone for help and advice)

Jason

Great news on the repair.

I agree regarding the lack of an output fuse. It'll be fine, but perhaps in time, you could consider getting one put in to protect the motor?

Cheers,

Andy.

• 4 years later...

Archived