Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

661-pete

BBC News - M31 collides with MW!

OK OK still some time to wait! :hello2:

Some nice mock-up pictures on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18285583

I like the second picture down especially: the one showing how the galaxies might be tidally warped. I expect the naked-eye views won't be anything like as spectacular, but if Earth is still habitable and has 'intelligent' beings (unlikely!) on it, equipped with widefield cameras, the available subject-matter should be spectacular!

"An illustration shows the night sky 3.75 billion years from now"

No, thanks to the Safety Nazis it will probably be bright orange everywhere.

James

Ummm. And now I've read it...

Surely the Andromeda Galaxy's companion is M32 (and perhaps M110), not M33?

James

M32 and M110 will probably have been completely absorbed into M31 by the time this grand event happens.

Some people think M33 is gravitationally bound to M31 - they are only 750K LY apart, much closer than M31 is to us. If so, perhaps it's not that far out to call M33 a 'companion' of M31. We might be looking at a 3-galaxy crash....:hello2:

Sadly the long range weather forecast indicates thick cloud cover around that period, lasting for several million years. And just as i will of saved up enough money to buy an attik buy then.

Looks like there are quite a number of satellite galaxies closer to Andromeda than M33. It could be a multi-galaxy pile-up.

James

Deffinately a female galaxy will start the afore mentioned pile up....and then come out of the otherside unscathed....With nothing but a smudge of Hydrogen Alpha across it's galaxy type lips...:hello2: (Awaiting the flak!)

I wonder how this is news? The Dutch news was also nattering along about it, but the fact the M31 was heading our way is well-established. It has reached many popular science programs in the past (even a few years back).

Think this is the first time scientific instruments have been used to confirm the time period for the carnage to begin.

I might pull me deck chair now and wait.....I have a Beano dont worry, that will keep me entertained till the event :hello2:

When or indeed IF this happens planet earth will become desimated surely? the gravitation pull from all the other stars and material from the other Galaxy(s) will be too much for us to bare....bye bye planet earth.... :)

I wonder how this is news? The Dutch news was also nattering along about it, but the fact the M31 was heading our way is well-established. It has reached many popular science programs in the past (even a few years back).
Think this is the first time scientific instruments have been used to confirm the time period for the carnage to begin.

Yes, I think NASA have done their 'hard sums' and come up with an actual time-scale for this event: that's what makes it news.

I might pull me deck chair now and wait.....I have a Beano dont worry, that will keep me entertained till the event :hello2:

When or indeed IF this happens planet earth will become desimated surely? the gravitation pull from all the other stars and material from the other Galaxy(s) will be too much for us to bare....bye bye planet earth.... :)

Not necessarily so. Stars might be stripped of some planets, but collisions are very rare in galactic mergers. Do not forget our nearest neighbour is a good 4 ly away. That gives you an idea of how close stars might come to the solar system (unless M31's core passes nearby). Planet earth will have other worries, like an expanding sun to contend with by that time. Well before getting to the red giant stage, the sun will heat up significantly. We should get away from this place well before M31 gets close.

so i have a question... it says we will be fine... surely if we all getting stretched about all over the place we wont be... ? although in terms of spacetime this is very slow the actual event will surely be cataclysmically (is that a word) fast ?

i notice michael mentioned collisions are rare ? surely between where venus earth and mars will lie then (Assuming none of the other planets get involved with our gravity directly) other bodies from Andromeda will slot in and we'll all pull each other together as one ?

The chances of actual collisions either between stars or planets etc are are currently thought to be pretty close to zero. However there are some other concerns. Yes it is possible that passing stars may rip us from orbit of our parent into a less favourable orbit. Its also possible our sun (with us in tow) maybe thrown into a far less desirable part of the galaxy. Much closer to the center and exposure to various forms of radiation are a serious problem. Then theres the vast clouds of nebula to deal with which will be super heated in the collision. To far away and the far less densely poulated outer areas will certainly make it difficult to escape our doomed world when the sun gets old (although this will be before the collision). Then theres the effect of the collision will have on the ort cloud. Likely vast amounts of currently dormant debris will be disturbed. Either way no it doesnt look good for the big blue.

As most of the volume of galaxies is empty "space " then I guess a head on collision is very unlikely. However I would think the gravitational effects would be chaotic sending star systems all over the place - who knows where we'd end up (assuming not having been annihilated beforehand).

The Earth is doomed anyway, let's have a party in the mean time :)

If mankind manages to survive the next million or so years, and we do not bomb or pollute our way into the stone age in that time (which might involve evolving into a more responsible life-form :hello2:), we will have to start exploring ways of getting off this planet permanently. Even with all the difficulties involved in interstellar travel, I think we will some day leave Earth, or find means to tow it to some other place. If you see what we have been able to do in a few thousand years (not including talent shows and reality TV :p), it is impossible to imagine what we will come up with in a million years (apart from even more embarrassing TV shows).

Oh and did i mention the possibilty of being flung out of the galaxy all together? Make sure you get some long johns and a wooly hat, its cold out there.

In terms of time scale I believe (dont quote me) that the merger will take several million years to complete. The galaxies will shoot through each other to begin with, distorting each other in the process. Then like elastic they will spring back towards each other and out the other side. This will repeat many times but a little less far on each occasion untill they have settled down. Long trailing arms created by the collision may take many more millions of years to wind back up. The massive black holes at the core of each galaxy will eventually merge but will engage in a orbit for some time before this. The heated nebula and star forming may continue for some period after the merger.

we will have to start exploring ways of getting off this planet permanently. Even with all the difficulties involved in interstellar travel, I think we will some day leave Earth, or find means to tow it to some other place.

Indeed. If nothing else, the time when we find ourselves in need of building a "B" Ark seems to be rapidly approaching.

James

Indeed. If nothing else, the time when we find ourselves in need of building a "B" Ark seems to be rapidly approaching.

James

That is needed whenever bureaucracy reaches critical levels (any time now), or the shoe event horizon approaches :hello2:

Edited by michael.h.f.wilkinson

So what will happen at the end of milkdromeda ? Will everything eventually get sucked into the black hole

As the universe expands, it cools down. Eventually there will be insufficient concentrations of energy for new star formation, so one by one, all the stars will go dark, and all life will cease.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but on the bright side, the above process will take quite some time... :hello2:

As the universe expands, it cools down. Eventually there will be insufficient concentrations of energy for new star formation, so one by one, all the stars will go dark, and all life will cease.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but on the bright side, the above process will take quite some time... :hello2:

By that time the end of the universe will be a catering experience (Milliways!), and you just zip back in time to when life was tolerable. As they said to Marvin:

"There is a whole new life stretching out ahead of you"

"Oh, no! not another one!"

Daily Mail headline: Galaxy Collision causes petrol queue chaos