Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Big Binoculars IMAGE Quality 45deg better than 90deg?

Hi,

I have a pair of 15x50mm binoculars mounted to a parallelogram and lay on a lounger. I love relaxing in the evenings with this setup. But i wanted more aperture....

So i purchased a Helios Quantum 7.4 with 45deg eyepieces. The image quality is very nice. Star colors much more vibrant. Stars at the edge smear a bit, but that does not bother me too much.

I live in the city and therefore targets at the zenith are most pleasing to view. Even with 45deg eyepieces i find the viewing above 60deg a pain in the neck. Maybe i have a weak neck... hahahaha :)

So im thinking of selling them and buying at Helios Quantum 6 with 90deg eyepieces.

By doing so would i be disappointed with the downgrade in image quality?

Or would a be better off buying a Helios Apollo 28x110 and using a parallelogram while lying on a lounger.

Does anyone have experience which has the best image quality & FOV sharpness? Quantum 7.4 or Helios Apollo 110mm?

Right now im working on a lounger with wheels and trying to attach the Q 7.4 to it. If it works out what wide field eyepieces would you recommend to upgrade to? I would like FOV of +68degs

Love to hear your comments.:hello2:

Assuming similar optical quality there won't be much difference in the view between 45 or 90 angled eyepieces apart from reduced neck strain. I find it pointless to go above 68 degrees for eyepiece AFOV because you can't scroll round the field with your eyes using two eyepieces at a time.

Olly, there is a Australia sourced motorised chair that carries the observer and the binocular, the Skychair 2000. I fitted one of these with a Fujinon 150 some years ago, the experience was only exceeded by it's cost. :hello2:

There should be no difference between using 45 and 90 degree angled eyepieces other than reduced neck strain, assuming similar optical quality. I find that 68 degree AFOV is the widest for comfortable viewing as you can't scroll round anything much larger using two eyes at the same time.

Olly, there is a Australia sourced motorised chair that carries the observer and the binocular, the Starchair 2000. I fitted one with a Fujinon 150 some years ago, the experience was exceeded only by the cost. :hello2:

Can't help on the bins but I do have this fantasy of making a Dobsonian chair. I'm serious. Why not? Chair and bins move together with you on board. You could even have GoTo, perhaps!

Olly

Two Sir Isaacs side by side. Neat, I would like a ride. Of course, I would not want go-to options, but if you could add a really comfy seat (and drinks cabinet while we are at it :D ) that would be perfect. Just hope the sir Isaacs do not squabble (sir Isaac was a difficult person, it is said) ;)

I built myself a paraellogram mount and it works great. Tho i considered it may have been almost the same price and saved myself time if i had just bought a UA Unimount.

The 45deg eyepieces work well under a lounger.

Only niggle is that the weight of the bins plus paraellogram plus counter weights is a lot of work to setup...... And a pain in the back......

• 4 years later...
On 08/06/2012 at 15:45, Stu said:

This is what you need :D

It's been posted on here before but I thought it worth another look!

Stu

That is observing nirvana.  Beer in hand, dark skies, would be heaven.  Not to mention the lack of back ache.

On 08/06/2012 at 14:50, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I would not want go-to options, but if you could add a really comfy seat (and drinks cabinet while we are at it :D ) that would be perfect.

how about something like this, keeps both hands free for guiding:

1.0x0.jpg

:headbang:

On 01/06/2012 at 11:12, ollypenrice said:

Can't help on the bins but I do have this fantasy of making a Dobsonian chair. I'm serious. Why not? Chair and bins move together with you on board. You could even have GoTo, perhaps!

What you need is a StarChair:

6-20.jpg.1dc38d11a79a8c889714992de343ac30.jpg

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Sun lounger + 15x70 Helios Apollo = WINNER (Nice glass of Johnny Walker GOLD Label helps too.....)

I second this combo, the best I've had in hindsight, but I really need to pull my finger out and build a P-mount...I've only been talking about it for about 4 years!

Good thread everyone by the way :) 

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Sun lounger + 15x70 Helios Apollo = WINNER (Nice glass of Johnny Walker GOLD Label helps too.....)

I'm seriously thinking of a sun lounger on an oversized Lazy Susan, though. Rather nice to be able to twirl around.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived