Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Azure

Commercial 50 Inch Dob!?

Aww theres no price tag, we can only wonder what a monster like that would cost!

Yup, just found out that Orion actually used to sell one!

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Truss-Tube-Dobsonians/Orion-50-Monster-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/29/p/9162.uts

Can you imagine trying to use such a scope? You'd need an aircraft hangar to store that! :)

- AZ

I should imagine at the sort of price we would be looking at. Most people that ordered one probably have their own aircraft.:hello2:

Sigh. Ridiculously big, but doesn't stop me from wanting one. Can't afford the 20 grand plus for 'em though. :hello2:

They were advertising it for a year or two, don't know if they ever sold one. Obviously you'd need a big observatory, perfect site and lots of money. I think most billlionaires prefer to spend their cash on yachts and football teams.

You'd also need a very big ladder.

I seem to remember them being £150,000 for the 50". Still no AP though, so I think you could do better to spend a third of that on a cracking AP setup!

It'd be great to own one of those - but I think I'd have to upgrade my car too: :hello2:

1740.jpg

Although it must be said that Normand Fullum has a reputation for good optics. He's quite a guy: the only structure builder I can think of who also makes his own optics. If you haven't seen his scopes before then you're in for a treat: http://www.normandfullumtelescope.com/home_en.html

More stuff to add to my wish list! His scopes are truly wonderful.

For some time Orion were also offering Ultra-portable dobs of sensible size (e.g. 18") with the same "sandwich primary" design as the monsters - but I've never seen any reviews. Anyone know if any of these lightweight dobs were actually sold? They're apparently discontinued though still listed on SCS Astro.

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-up18-premium-ultraportable-truss-dobsonian.htm

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=15384

I should imagine at the sort of price we would be looking at. Most people that ordered one probably have their own aircraft.:hello2:

People who could get buy one of those have so much money that they may as well buy the Hubble telescope!

Umadog, thanks for the link, just finished reading it all and certainly a story to be told - don't know if I would have that amount of patience!

James

I think I remember hearing that the monster dobs from Orion were discontinued. A right shame although I can't imagine that they sold very many. I still have it at the top of the list should I ever win the lottery :hello2: